GoKunming Forums

Street Food! Looking for Vietnamese, Lao, Thai, etc

Stokes (6 posts) • 0

We're new to the city and still getting our bearings. One of the best changes from Shanghai to Kunming is that there seems to be a lot more opportunities for street food vendors here. (Shanghai has pushed them into the margins of the city)

I'm wondering if Kunming has some spots where you can find Vietnamese, Lao, Thai... Burmese?? street food. Like pho stands, fresh spring rolls, maybe even papaya salad? Stuff like that... quick eats.

So far I've only noticed the street stuff in back of Carrefour, where there are some great hotpot and noodle vendors, but I didn't spot any spring rolls.

Any help much appreciated, thanks

chris (144 posts) • 0

Street food in Kunming tends to focus on Kunming/Yunnan-style snacks: cold noodles, stinky tofu and barbecue are all worth trying

I remember that outside of Yunnan University's west gate there was a row of food vendors selling all kinds of snacks, somewhere in there was a vendor of "Thai-style" pancakes that were pretty good, I think the banana and strawberry pancakes sold well. As far as I can tell that area has been more or less shut down, but I'm not positive as I haven't lived there for a while now.

Another area that used to have crazy street food - but I'm not sure if it still does - is the street heading north from Yieryi Da Jie just west of the Yunnan Minority Institute. This major student area seems to have also been getting gradually shut down by its friendly neigborhood chengguan too, but there should still be plenty of stalls selling quick eats near the top of the hill. Good luck.

Related forum threads

Login to post