Wonders Of Yunnan Travel


Are there any programs in Kunming for foreigners to become qualified as Chinese teachers

phipps (2 posts) • 0

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to become a qualified Chinese teacher, and I was wondering what kind of qualifications I could get here in Kunming. If anyone has any info about different programs and schools I would appreciate it.


Vincent86 (7 posts) • 0

You foreigner wanna become a Chinese teacher in China ? That's so hard . If you really want to,you can take the examination called 教师资格证.

baiyuxiang (103 posts) • +1

If you're only looking to become qualified as a Chinese teacher you might search for CSL (Chinese as a Second Language) training courses.

I've heard that there is now a test for foreigners who wish to return to their home countries and teach Chinese, but I haven't checked it out myself. It involves a written test to show that you know all the grammatical stuff, plus a 20 minute demonstration lesson which you do on video.

tigertiger - moderator (5080 posts) • 0

The question would be, if you want to teach back home, what qualification is recognised back home?

If the CSL course is like many TEFL courses, it may not be recognised in many countries. If so, you may get some private clients, but you would not be able to teach in schools.

It may also be worth contacting the education departments in both the Chinese Embassy and local government offices back home. Have you spoken to your high school Chinese teacher? He/she may also be in a good position to advise. Additionally you could try contacting the Confucius Institutes in Beijing or back home.

Just some thoughts

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Many, if not most of the Thai students at universities such as the Yunnan University of Nationalities (云南民族大学) are there on 2+2 programs where they spend 2 years in Kunming and 2 years at home to become Chinese language teachers in their home country. Enquire as to whether a similar program is available for you, which would allow you to study in Kunming or elsewhere in China and get the qualifications you desire that would allow you to teach in schools back home.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

I can't see why they'd object. You'd probably find yourself on the TV news though.

JPHarmon (3 posts) • 0

According to what I know the tests for Chinese teaching certificates are all in Chinese. How good is your Chinese?

If you are looking at certificate for Teaching Chinese as a Second Language then you just need to take the tests. There is a written test first. If you pass that one you can try the interview that includes demo class and cross culture cases.

If you can pass both then you will receive the teaching certificate that's valid for 5 years.

Hope this helps.

Login to post Register to post