GoKunming Forums

the end of english teachers with student visas

daliluver (17 posts) • 0

I recently heard that cops are cracking down on illegal schools and foreigners who work here as teachers without a legitimate working visa.
cops in civilian attire have been scattered around english institutions such as haina, owen, henderson to investigate potential illegal teachers and send them back home
would this be true?

if so, good luck to all those teachers with student visas teaching english

sophisticate (11 posts) • 0

I heard that they do this every year but they notify the schools in advance... So, as with the enforcement of many laws in China, this too seems to be a farce.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

I can't help but see the irony in this. After many years oif complaining about illegal immigrants work in their country, foreigners are now out creating illegal immigrant problems of their own in, of all places, China.

daliluver (17 posts) • 0

they said henderson had been notified im not sure~
i wonder how many foreigners in kunming are teaching english earning at least 5K with a student visa ....=/

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

One of the main problems here is actually the labor bureau. They're very tightfisted when it comes to handing out work permits, and the PSB can't give a work visa without one. Folks in the PSB have actually complained about this with me. This is probably why they give a heads-up to certain schools before each crackdown.

Even the universities have a hard time getting labor permits from these guys. They have no coherent policy about determining which companies and positions are eligible for foreign workers.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

It may be possible, but what I'm seeing is total arbitrariness. They're not telling all the schools that they'd give out more approvals for more qualified teachers. They're just sitting on applications and rejecting them without explanation.

So if that's what they want, they're definitely going about it the wrong way.

sewwhat_hey (5 posts) • 0

To daliluver:
My name is Steve Wilson and as the Foreign Director of Owen Foreign Language Schools-Kunming, in what context do you categorize our organization as illegal?
If you'd be willing to come to our campus I'd be happy to show you our licences and documentation.
Furthermore, I'm extremely curious as to your source of when we had plain-clothes/uniformed PSB or the Bureau of Foreign Experts investigate our institution.
As has been my responsibility for over seven years; I ensure that our foreign teachers are legally entitled to live and work within the P.R.C.
Please feel free to contact me at 15687792523.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

I was under the impression that to officially teach anywhere in China - one had to be some kind of Foreign Expert - hence the scrooginess of the labor bureau? Plus our resume's & stuff must be translated into Chinese (even for WFOE etc) otherwise they "just say no"...anything difficult - they just say "no".

Maybe Steve (sewwhat_hey) can shed some light on his particular institution.

The PSB stop by my home once a year just to say hello and verify I'm who I am etc...very polite and actually nice to see them - they scare the hell out of the neighbors - which I consider a good thing - they leave me alone...and fantasize their gossip to their heart's content.

Related forum threads

Login to post