GoKunming Forums

Metro

spunz (17 posts) • 0

Hi all,

a friend told me about Metro and them having decent cheese. But they seem to have some membership thing going. Anyone knows more about it ?

Thanks

Smillz (31 posts) • 0

Metro does have a membership program, but you need not have a card to shop there. When you walk in, just tell them "Mei you ka". They will let you right in. At the check out, they will ask you again. Just say "Mei you ka" again, and they will scan a universal card number they keep at the register, or ask someone behind you in line to use theirs. Never had any problems doing it this way.

Happy shopping!

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

If you're after cheese its a good idea to get a group of people together as metro mostly sells large quantities suitable for catering, unless you are really cheesy and can eat a whole kilo before it goes bad.

no way (104 posts) • 0

wicker basket near metro had cheese last time i was there.
paul's if they're still in business.
c4 carries cheese.
and the trust-mart (hao you duo) has some (although
their 'mozzarella' is just plain evil).

Bernie (101 posts) • 0

Why not get a membership card?

Tell them you have a translation business (anything). Perhaps, produce a business card from your computer. It's they that need your business as a customer.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

After you've gone their once you can just show/use the receipt next time. The first time I went someone just gave me their old receipt.

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

I go to Metro about every 3-4 months to buy a big hunk-O-cheese that I then cut into smaller pieces at home to stuff in the freezer. Granted the texture suffers slightly but if you wrap the cheese tightly and slowly freeze it and later thaw it in the fridge it's bearable. They sell the big chunks in 3-4 kilo sizes and usually at prices ranging from 180 for the (Argentinian) Mozarella up to 250 for the Gouda and the Emmenthaler. Never been an Emmenthaler fan so I haven't tried that one but the Mozarella is good -although as most Mozarellas a bit bland - for almost anything, especially cooking pasta, pizza or sandwiches. The Gouda has more flavour and is worth trying as well. I can also recommend the spread cheese (12-15 kuai for 140 grams), especially the President brand.

Most foreign language schools have a membership so if you work for one you can probably pick up the number from your dos or boss. If not you can -as Smillz said- just ask another customer to lend you his card for a second, it's usually not a problem. On the other hand the universal card number he mentioned isn't a viable option anymore. Before I picked up a more permanently usable number I tried that 2 or 3 times and it didn't work.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

Why not just rock up to the service desk next to the Metro entrance with your foreign passport in hand and get a card? It's free and fast and the card will work in Metros across China.

Sikaote (8 posts) • 0

I had a membership card in Changsha. All I did was show them my passport and they gave me a card on the spot in 5 minutes. It was free and I didn't have to explain anything.

Related forum threads

Login to post