GoKunming Forums

Internet connection

tim7175 (20 posts) • 0

Recently I got internet connection from China Unicom and they advertised 4M Band With (400 Kb/s) via pamphlets including wireless modem for RMB 1000/year.

So I though this is reasonable phoned them up and told them to send technician to connect me. After few days I noticed my connection is way to slow for 4M. I tested my Band With with free available soft ware and test told me it's only 2M averaging 1.7M (170Kb/s). When I complained to China Unicom they told me it's nothing wrong with my connection speed.

Any other guys had experience with this scammer company?

KuiXing (16 posts) • 0

I had the exact problem with Tietong. Signed up for 4m internet that they said it would be twice as fast as Telecom. It was much slower and when I complained they asked what sites I was using. When I said I was on sites such as youtube (at the time) they explained that their 4m connection was actually only faster for Chinese sites and that their infrastructure wasn't set up to make out of country sites load any faster.

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

The connection will only be 4M within the China Unicom network. Definately not to overseas servers and not even to China Telecom servers. Infact there is no inter-ISP infrastructure at all within Kunming. We used to have China Netcom (now Unicom) at the office and China Telecom at home. The route from our home to our email server at the office (just down the road) went via Beijing. They can't even manage to get this sorted out between different ISPs in the same country - don't ever expect it to work as advertised between Kunming and foreign servers.

tim7175 (20 posts) • 0

@Greginchina

To make it clear it's within the China Unicom network. My Band With is only 2M and not 4M as they told me will be. It's very easy to check Band With download speed.

Greginchina (239 posts) • 0

so the bandwidth test you're doing is using a China Unicom server?

You may have cause for complaint but even so they'll wriggle out of it. They'll probably insist you can only test it to their China Unicom server in Kunming and anything beyond that they can't control. They certainly won't bend over their backs to help a residential customer. They could barely offer any quality of service for a business customer with fibre optic cable. Good Luck!

Related forum threads

Login to post