GoKunming Forums

Traveling to China from the UK

BlueBird (55 posts) • 0

Hey guys, has anyone recently traveled to China from England? I’ll be traveling very soon and I would appreciate if you folks could help me to understand the process, thanks a mil.

tigertigerathome (172 posts) • +1

The current situation regarding travel restrictions in China is fluid at the moment, as restrictions are often modified at the local level based on the current risk situation, affected by recent Covid outbreaks.
Personally, I would check the Website for the airport I would be landing on my entry into China (not my final destination if taking an internal connecting flight). I would also check the airline's Website. Bear in mind that travel restrictions could change while you are in the air. I would definitely get a Covid test and printed result the day before I flew.

bubblyian (102 posts) • +1

I am from the UK and have not been able to return for more than 2 years owing to the covid restrictions. I check the various government websites regularly and suggest you also do so.
1) To get into China you need the appropriate visa or residence permit. Latest requirements on who is allowed in can be found on the Chinese embassy website in London: www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/visa/ and the UK government foreign office website for China information: www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china.

2) My understanding of the current situation is that no tourist visas are being issued. So you can only enter if you have a special visa, or a work/family visa/resident permit or green card. You then need to complete the testing requirements specified on the above websites and are fully vaccinated.

3) There are no direct flights from the UK to China, so you will need to change at least once and need to be very careful about that country's requirements as well to avoid being quarantined there as well.

4) On arrival in China, you will NOT be allowed to fly to Kunming. You will be sent to one of the designated cities and required to stay in quarantine at your expense for 14 days. Maybe up to 400 rmb/night. Maybe not allowed to stay with your family/friends, but in separate rooms. You will be tested several times during the 14 days. If the tests are all negative, then you will be allowed to continue your journey to Kunming, but will have to self-isolate for a further 7 days at home and submit to further tests/daily temperature reporting.

5) Kunming is generally open for foreigners to travel anywhere, but masks are required on the metro/buses. Sometimes also in shopping centres and other places.

6) Following the recent outbreak in Nanjing and elsewhere, inter-province travel is being scaled back and needs negative covid tests. Keep a close eye on the latest news as everything can change suddenly!

Related forum threads

Login to post