GoKunming Forums

Internship for international students

Alex King (1 post) • 0

Hi everyone,

I am a sophomore majoring in BBA. In addition, I am studying for ACCA qualification on my own. One must complete 3 years of practical experience requirement to be ACCA qualified.

What are the chances for a student like me to get an internship here in Kunming? Considering the fact that I am not fluent in Chinese (Though I have some rudimentary knowledge of it).
I look forward to having your kind opinions/recommendations.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Now is not a good time. The virus situation is the reason.

DanDare (141 posts) • 0

Chances of finding one in accounting in Kunming, low. Chances of it being of any value, lower. China seems to have a different view of internships.
If you don't speak Chinese at a high level, you need to find an English speaking firm. That would need to be in Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen.
Three years practical experience of ACCA probably does not include casual internships. You need to check with ACCA what is acceptable. I would think it is 3 years work experience (actual job) in a relevant field.

All the good internships I have seen here have been a closed shop for the children of local elite families, or very attractive young people.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Finding a position that would satisfy as ACCA work experience is problematic. I am sure to work as an accountant in China requires that you be licensed. Without sufficient university credit and passing some testing requirement, in Chinese, the odds of getting a work visa is nil.

I inquired about a China accounting license but the response was vague enough to make me conclude the answer was negative. I have multiple degrees. Math, Economics, Accounting, MBA, am a CMA and passed the California CPA exam in my first sitting but never worked for a CPA firm. I taught US, UK and China GAAP as well as IFRS. This was not enough for a license.

Your best bet would be to try to hook up with a major accounting firm in Beijing or Shanghai.

Conversational 普通话 is grossly insufficient to deal with the Chinese vocabulary of Accounting.

Also, now may not be a good time to be going to China due to the virus situation.

michael2015 (784 posts) • 0

zhaopin.com is one of many good places to start for English speaking jobs. Chances are - if the job posting is in English, you're halfway in the door (assuming you also have the quals).

Related forum threads

Login to post