GoKunming Forums

Average cost of utilities in Kunming

KatherineP (5 posts) • 0

I am moving to Kunming in November, sorting out the budget.

Can anyone tell me roughly what utilities and internet costs are each month, in a 1-2 bedroom apartment?

Thank you.

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

internet, around 110 kuai per month for broadband and basic fixed line.

electric, allow something like 150-300 kuai per month. this is obviously contingent on how much juice you use. as you're arriving just before the winter, you might run a bit high for the first few months if you use an electric heater.

water, cheap.

watch out for building management fees and whatnot - they can stack up a bit, as they're typically paid a bunch of months at once. they're still only something like a couple of hundred a month though.

for a quick summary figure, you should be able to cover rent and utilities etc. in 3000 kuai tops.

bear in mind that rent is often expected in 6 month blocks.

seahorse62 (141 posts) • 0

I can't really help you with the cost because we have 5 kids so ours runs a lot more than most peoples. I was just going to add that the electricity only comes every other month so you might want to budget a certain amount every month and put it up so you not hit with a higher than expected bill every other month. Also you can set up an account at the Construction Bank and they will draft out your utilities. Its much easier than trying to go around and pay them.

LuJingLin (28 posts) • 0

Yeah be careful because utilities are paid totally differently everywhere, even within the same building sometimes. i.e. people in my area pay the area management office if they are the 8th floor or up, I have to go downtown to pay... best to ask very clearly when you sign your lease and to ask the landlord to see bills of past residents if you're budgeting carefully.

Also just to give you an idea of range, I live with my boyfriend and we use very little water/elec and pay no more than I'd say 25/40 yuan respectively a month.

And if you're willing to be over 20 min away from the green lake your rent drops considerably- say well under 1000 yuan a month, often for nicer places. good luck with your move.

Related forum threads

Login to post