GoKunming Forums

Carrefour Giving Up On China

l4dybug (89 posts) • 0

Be careful what you wish for. If you watched Ex Machina, they may one day peel more than just your grapes.

vicar (817 posts) • +1

Hardly surprising about the supermarkets when you can buy cheaper on a much wider variety on Taobao. Saw this coming years ago...yawn.

l4dybug (89 posts) • +1

Can't argue with tiger there. Plastic containers from take out and food delivery services are out of control.

You've bought fresh poultry and produce on Taobao years ago vicar?

vicar (817 posts) • +1

No. Just speculation I was certain about when looking at other industries. I do now though, with great satisfaction : )

l4dybug (89 posts) • 0

Foresight is 20/20 for vicar. Any predictions for Luckin Coffee Inc.?

Since IPO on Nasdaq, Luckin Coffee is suddenly everywhere within a 1km radius.

However, their onslaught of single-use plastic cups, lids, and straws is a disillusioning sight. I don't see them as "rivals" to Starbucks.

Shanghai and Shenzen Starbucks may have gone experimental in one thousand of their outlets by replacing plastic straws with strawless sipping lids.

I say Kunming could be the first trial city to pioneer the subsidization of biodegradable plastic packaging for all restaurants and delivery services like Meituan and Elema.

Go beyond "civilized." Become a model city in China. Environmentally conscientious Spring City. Kunming goes Green. Phasing out Plastic in South of Cloud Yunnan. Can you see the global headlines vicar?

Municipal and provincial officials sharing congratulatory hand shakes with President Xi & Co. smiling and clapping their hands in the backdrop.

Oh how glorious for the WWF. A win for the city, the nation, and the world. Particularly for marine life ensnared in plastic, much less baby whale calf spared from being washed ashore filled with plastic in tummy.

Patrick Scally & contributors representing GoKunming, in cooperation with Yunnan Foreign Business Club, should touch base with liaisons in pitching this proposal to local government branches (i.e. CFDA, CCA) and local representatives of Meituan, Elema, Alibaba, or JD.

We the members/voice of the foreign community residing in Kunming could fill online petitions vouching for this initiative or conservation campaign.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +1

I've order lemons and my wife just got some mangos and they were great. You can buy produce on Taobao but you have to be careful since you can't touch or feel it. Pictures and reviews can be doctored.

cloudtrapezer (756 posts) • 0

Why would anyone who lives in Kunming buy fruit on Taobao - or indeed anywhere but off small traders in the street?

l4dybug (89 posts) • -1

Yes, fruit hawkers may be cheap, but may come from illegal and unregulated sources of pesticide. It's the long-term health risk you take when buying massively pristine, seedless grapes for 10 kuai/kg or the vibrantly red strawberries per basket for 10 kuai on the sidewalks.

Same risks may apply for small Taobao fruit wholesalers. Scandals are prevalent in all corners. Though due to verified accountability of Taobao sellers as is the case for Carrefour, sourcing from licensed farmers whose agricultural practices abide by health safety standards may increase their business half-life, despite reducing half-life of their produce.

Whereas street hawkers can appear today and disappear tomorrow. No accountability.

Going back to previous recycling topic. Just announced, Kunming will follow footsteps of major cities like Hanzhou to implement mandatory separation of dry and "wet" garbage waste disposal protocols beginning next year.

The fate of your leftover mixian soup in plastic containers remains to be seen.

Related forum threads

Login to post