GoKunming Forums

Chinese Corner

Learn Chinese YN (19 posts) • +5

Very strange to hear that Chinese Corner is old hat and not useful when you can just speak with locals.

Usually Chinese corners will have a topic to discuss and be lead by someone who knows what they are doing for example a teacher to prepare talking points and games.

Otherwise high level students take over the conversation.

Also just going out and talking is very different to a Chinese corner. You can't for example stipulate a word list, or topic for a conversation on the street and make the other party take on the responsibility of improving your Chinese level.

Anyway just my opinion that a Chinese corner can be useful for people learning Chinese

good luck to all students :D

Ishmael (462 posts) • -3
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

OK about the Chinese corner, but, as with language classes that I, for one, could not have done without, it's important to remember you live in a real city with real people with whom your object is to communicate in real life.

bubblyian (102 posts) • 0

Come along to Green Lake EC on a Thursday evening 8-10pm and meet loads of Chinese people who would love to start a Chinese corner with you!!!

JPHarmon (3 posts) • 0

I know there are Toastmasters Clubs in Kunming that allows non-Chinese speakers to practice Chinese in a structured manner.

One is in Xiexin Tiandi on Jianshe Rd.

Related forum threads

Login to post