GoKunming Forums

Hip hop music

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +1

Steady on, you sound like my dad. We can all think of 'dumb' pop tunes. However, there are many popular artists over the years who have smashed that mould.

dolphin (509 posts) • 0

this has a couple of lines that are mildly amusing, but it's too stupid and crappy to actually be considered "music".

chinese people order food for 40 days / and then they fight to pay

i don't even carry cash anymore / i'd be super screwed without my phone

or is cashless society part of a dystopian future?

Rap song: Foreigners' life in China
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM_k5JXJgJ0

alienew (422 posts) • +2

I can't agree with Mr Pink's general point of view. However, calling hiphop 'poetry with a downbeat' sounds about right, and there's nothing wrong with that idea, or the idea of rhythmic/vocal improvisation

- the beat and vocal rhythms can be quite good, same with the poetry (a lot of which I think is not, in fact, very good, but I'm willing to let people show me I'm wrong).
But the thing is, hiphop overall DOES tend to lack musicality, and I see this as a deficiency.
The issues of violent racism and sexism brutality, usually with over-the-top machismo, are real, but not everywhere, and not necessary. Guys who are primarily excited about the chance to hear/say/sing/gesture tough things about guns, bitches, killing and so forth, and performers who cave in to, or actually believe in, this kind of crap, are a social disease - but the blame for its being there can't ALL be laid at the feet of the performers (tho they're not innocent). But none of it has to be there, and just because something comes from (or pretends to come from) the street doesn't make it a good idea.
Actually, the main reason I've never bothered to pay much serious attention to hiphop, besides all the ugly misuse of it that has gone on, is (1) the lack of musicality. I would not object if somebody told me that a second reason has to do with my no longer being young - but my age will not add MUSICAL brilliance where it doesn't exist.
Like I said, I haven't paid much serious attention, so I don't pretend to have any last words and would be happy to be shown to be wrong - just chill a bit with the constant righteous shouting of ME lyrics and let a few other things happen once in awhile.

Wonderful precursor to it all, now a few million years in the past: 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised' - maybe more artists might go back and start again from there & take a different tack.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

I don't think the priority when creating that video was hip hop music lol.

Pretty crappy and not funny either which you'd at least hope.

alienew (422 posts) • -2

@redjon: Agreed. There are worse things than bad hiphop - let the jerks shout, some medicines are more poison than cure. There's a thread on 'fake news', some versions of which carry a more respectable name in China.

vicar (817 posts) • +1

Yo yo don't need music to rap bro. Joaquin Phoenix was the best at this in my opinion.

Dere myselfDere myself (10 posts) • +1

Lol that’s interesting .

Well everyone should respect the existence of every type of music. The lyrics suck too, not enjoyable, but since I dance,

I can’t aviod listening to hiphop

Related forum threads

Login to post