GoKunming Forums

Hip hop music

debaser (647 posts) • 0

2001... already more than 15 years ago. Dr Dre muthafuka.

haha.. but if they really believe that this is all that hip hop is then they have much bigger problems. The outrage at the Sex Pistols and even Elvis should be the lesson that history teaches here. I tend to agree with Kurtosis, this night have more to do with politics than musical tastes.

dolphin (509 posts) • -1

Elvis and Sex Pistols is different.

Many of these songs are evil songs trying to influence people to act out in evil ways.

This is hate speech and promoting violence against a particular group. Someone should file a lawsuit against this band, ban their music, bankrupt them and donate their life savings to ice boy.

www.thebeijinger.com/[...]

China's expat community has again become the target of anger for China's rap artists, as illustrated by Sichuan's Xie Di desire to shoot foreigners with a gun in his new single "Wack Laowai" (瓜老外 guā lǎowài).

Napoleon (1187 posts) • +1

I'm sure the foreigners of Sichuan will be safe in their beds. This guy is just copying what he has seen from American music, and transferred the trend of guns over for more shock value.

Chances are he's never held a gun, doesn't know how to use one and certainly wouldn't be able to buy one. If you gave him a short sharp slap he would probably shit in his baggy jeans.

It will be the same when he calls people a bitch, he will be walking around the shops now holding some daft bint's handbag for her.

Acting hard, pretending to be poor and rhyming profanities over Yamaha keyboard melodies is to music what shitting the bed and displaying it in the Tate museum is to art. It's 'contemporary' ie something crap that appeals to pretentious people to try and show how trendy or intelligent they think they are.

I bet this dickhead does all the trademark things, holds the microphone all cack handed, makes orgasm noises over the music, and does sign language for deaf people while he raps - the only people who can probably appreciate his work.

Being controversial to appeal to sweaty teenage virgins locked in their rooms between Mario brother marathons has been done to death. Nothing to see here.Just another talentless rent boy trying to sell his LP to the most impressionable audience of mummy's boys with money to burn.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

A musician buddy once reminded me to not be too critical of pop. In his words, 'pop is disposable music'. This was not a derogatory comment, just a fact, it very often isn't of the highest musical quality.

Every music generation prefers their own music, and often dislikes the last one the most, as the most passe.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

Have had no interest in hip hop, but much interest in other forms of popular music. Far as I'm concerned, it's about time to come up with a new genre. Hip hop bores me, reminds me of an un-clued-in extended pretentious and narcissistic adolescence (tho there are certain songs that actually have something to say that needs to be said). And then there are many that are about ethnic, gender and racial hatred.
Agree with tiger tho - MOST pop is indeed disposable - tho not all.

redjon777 (560 posts) • +2

@dolphin You do not know eminem's music if your criticising him for his lyrics. His work has some of the most talented lyrical stories you'll come across in music. Talking of rape and drugs etc was more some of his earlier and less mature writing as Slim Shady.

Anyway by the sounds of the tastes on this forum we're all getting a bit old which maybe the problem lol, new stuff these days usually skips by me but luckily enough I'm still young enough to appreciate eminem, he released his 1st big album back in 1998 when I was 20.

Yeah some hip-hop is pretty much generated to follow the same old pattern but you can say the same with rock, r&b, indie etc but at the end of the day these genres will always have their stand out artists who make it great and are remembered. Trash the rest!

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

if you like slim shadey you is probably

too old. yeh pop is a disposable market but there will always be some that last and become classics

Krismoonpie (80 posts) • 0

De La Soul
Tribe Called Quest
J-Dilla
Digable Planets
Common
Jurassic 5
Beastie Boys (For the most part)
Nujabes
Biz Markie
Mos Def
Jazz Liberators
Guru/Gangstarr
Grandmaster Flash
Blackalicious
Q-Tip
The Roots
Talib Kweli
Spearhead
Ill Mentality
Lauryn Hill
Arrested Development
Pete Rock
Black Eyed Peas (First 2 Albums)
Tre Hardson
Wyclef Jean
Aesop Rock
Fugeez
Queen Latifah (except for the song where she tells men not to call her and other women b@tches)
Run DMC
Premiere
KRS-One
Jeru Tha Damaja
Ugly Duckling
Eric B & Rakim
Funky DL
People Under The Stairs
Ozomatli
Heavy D
Slick Rick
DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince/Will Smith (Ok Cheesy)

Just a small sample of many hip hop groups that curse little to not at all. I'm not saying there's no cursing here, but for the most part these are pretty clean, jazzy acts that have songs that focus on positivity and or social issues. Rap/Hip Hop is just like several people are saying, can be more like The Beatles or more like Whitesnake. Still might not be your cup of tea, but there is definitely hip hop out there that does not fit your definition.

redjon777 (560 posts) • 0

@dolphin Just an add on I forgot, a few songs with lyrics to enjoy ;o) Hardly evil...

Lose yourself (with lyrics) - 2002 www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Un9HLDCTCs
Sing for the moment (with lyrics) - 2003 www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xwSgFsKeoE
Mockingbird (with lyrics) - 2005 www.youtube.com/watch?v=49rraTkHFeI
When I'm gone (with lyrics) - 2005 www.youtube.com/watch?v=kguRNaAO8oc
Not Afraid (with lyrics) - 2010 www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYaSNZRbFsA
Rap God (with lyrics) - 2013 www.youtube.com/watch?v=09bkG-7Vj2w

Related forum threads

Login to post