GoKunming Forums

Looking for kerosene

fixitwithahammer (165 posts) • 0

In that case tiger, you could use anything from paint thinner to brake disk cleaner. Check taobao for whatever is cheapest.
JetA1 would be the most dangerous of all and without a license you couldn't just buy it. It is highly flamable only to be used on cold engines.

What car do you have and what is the problem? Is the engine consuming to much oil? Or do you see (visible) engine oil leakage?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I have machined parts, that are covered with dirt, grime and grease from the manufacturing process. I want to clean them so that all that they touch does not turn black.
I have found home-made formulas for degreaser now, with all the ingredients from the kitchen cupboard.
As such I don't need kero, or expensive cleaning products.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • +1

@fixit
JetA1 is just pure kerosene which is not highly flamable. You can use it in oil lamps so with an open flame. The main reason you can not just buy it because there are no fuel added taxes on it.
AVGAS = Aviation Gass is 100 octane high quality fuel for piston aircrafts. That is indeed highly flamable.
For the tigers purpose a bit of ordinary diesel fuel will work as well.

@Tiger
Ming bai. For that I recommend thinning agent. Throw it in there over nite and wipe it off the next morning but take all sealants and caskets off. In our garage we used standard paint thinner for machine parts. And you can buy it for a few RMB in any fixing shop in Kunming.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

“standard paint thinner”
The stuff they sell at every corner shop here is horrible. It comes in old medical drip bottles and smells like hell. Probably full of aromatic hydrocarbons which are very carcinogen.
I would stick to vinegar and baking soda if that works.

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

@Dazzer
au contraire my friend, they probably sell only to glue sniffers and the like.
Anyway probably taste beter than Báijiǔ. And Báijiǔ is cheaper per litre.

@There is a 5 RMB difference from the very smelly stuff and the less smelly stuff.

I buy the ones in large tins, thus you can just throw the stuff you want to clean in it and put the lid back on.

Every industrial cleaning or thinning liquid has fumes and they are all carcinogens or at least bad for health including kerosene, diesel and gasoline.

Vinegar and baking soda aren't strong enough at least not for car engine parts.
And they are hazardous in soil as well.

Unfortunately baijiu isn't strong enough and alcohol will not do the job. You need something with thinning qualities to get rid of wax, grease or plastic residue.

Related forum threads

Login to post