GoKunming Forums

4 days - National Giant Panda-Leshan-Emei-Shan

sanguojia (27 posts) • 0

This is Sandra. I am planning a trip to China. I will arrive to Chengdu (Shuanliu) from Spain one monday about 11.00 a.m,then I am thinking on tuesday go to visit the national giant Panda, afternoon take a bus to Leshan(stayovernight) Wednesday visit Buda Leshan, in the afternoon take a bus to EmeiShan ( stayovernight) then thursday climb the emeishan montain and spend overnight on the montain, friday climb down, stay last night in Emeishan down mountain. Saturday come back to chengdu and take flight to Zhongdian.

My doubt is that if what i want to do is to rush, o is possible.
On the other Hand, any one can recommend me a hostel near Xinnamen bus Station in Chengdu?
Thank for your help

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Yep, sounds rushed to me. I'd skip the panda, at least, and visit more of Chengdu, especially if you've never been to China. Actually walking up Emeishan is worthwhile, but the weather might not be too good - when are you coming to China? - and going up one day from the bottom & coming down the next leaves it a bit tight. I hiked up in 1&1/2 days, spent a night in a monastery complex on the mountain, came down by bus. Hope you're reasonably fit.

Wondersofyunnan (4 posts) • 0

Hi sandra, contact us after the weekend, we can help you out. Www.wondersofyunnan.com, kunming based tour operator, arranging tours in sw-china.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Don't skip the pandas in Chengdu. Just make sure you arrive at the early show time when the juvenile pandas are eating and active. But the panda zoo is far out and it's huge, so if you don't have half a day free, then do skip it.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

Nothing much to see or do in Chengdu city, at least nothing of interest to me. Can't understand why people like it so much. Pandas are entertaining when they are playing.

sanguojia (27 posts) • 0

hello everybody:
Thank you very much for your help.

I just decided entry to China by Chengdu to see the Panda.
Do you think 1/2 day is enough for Panda. Then afternoon go to Eshan and spend night there to get up early and visi it. That day take bus to Emei-shan and spend night there, next day climb the mountain and stay that night in Monastery, from monastery next day come down to Chengdu will be possible? How Long does it take to come down to Emeishan Start Point and get bus to Chengdu?
The month I will be there in the middle of August. how the weather will look like?
Thanks.
Sandra

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Half day at the pandas is plenty - most of it will be travelling there and back. They are fun, but it's only one species afterall.

sanguojia (27 posts) • 0

Thank you Ocean.
I have another question. What is much better go to Eshan in the afternoon and spend overnight for next day see the Buda or spend that night in Chengdu and next day go to Eshan very early in the morning? Is there anyplace there to leave the stuff?

Thank you for your help!

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Sandra, I see that you are receiving some helpful tips but that you are also a bit more confused with so many choices at your disposal. Please keep this in mind when making your trip.

Chengdu, Sichuan is a huge city and a great place and has lots to see but it is very different from Yunnan in many ways. Personally, I would just stay in Yunnan as Chengdu has a completely different atmosphere and history and that portion of your trip will only take time from your itinerary that can be better served in Yunnan.

Also, I feel you may be trading one UNESCO site for another.

www.gokunming.com/en/forums/thread/9948/unesco_sites_in_china

I have visited both Emei and Leshan because I am in the process of visiting all 48 UNESCO sites in China. Keep in mind that UNESCO sites in China are very expensive and crowded with tourists all year round.

To answer your question directly, you need a full day to visit each site because of the driving time (distance) and time required to see each site. If you attempt to visit 2 places in one day you will spend a lot of money and cheat yourself out of the travel experience. Leshan and Emei are 86 km apart (2.5 hours).

Pandas - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_Giant_Panda_Sanctuaries - There are several to choose from so this depends on which you will visit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan - See the map to understand the distance.

I recommend you stay in Yunnan for your entire trip if you have not already purchased tickets and try to see as much as you can in Yunnan.

On a personal note, I can understand why some people may speak negatively of Dali and Lijiang. I have been in Yunnan for 12 years and I have seen the many (FAKE) changes that have taken place and it really makes me feel sad. However, the first time I went to Dali I feel in love with the 1000 year old city and I purchased a home there because the people and the landscape is wonderful.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM, I can send you some pictures if needed. Good luck.

sanguojia (27 posts) • 0

Hello HFCAMPO,

I already bought my ticket, I also like to visit LESHAN-EMEISHAN, then I will flight to Shangrila
Can I have your email to ask you for more Information about my trip?
Thanks and Regars

Related forum threads

Login to post