GoKunming Forums

Kunming wechat group

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Here goes. Forgive my ignorance - but what is the purpose or benefits of Wechat? Serious question but I am certain I will be laughed out of the ballpark.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I have to agree with HFCAMPO's question.

WeChat has benefits for defined groups of people who need to work together somehow, but I can't see any benefit at all of a group of unrelated strangers.

We've already got this forum. That should be enough.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

It seems to have as much "purpose" as Facebook. I know lots of people who get along fine without that too.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

HC, Wechat its a tool which can save time and hassle but also can take lots of time and give troubles :-) Depends how u use it, probably like with every tech. designed to serve human lazy nature ;-) Advantages or disadvantages can only be discovered by personal experience, I guess ( we all have different needs ). Some people dont even have phone, coz they dont need it ( customers find them without contact, because they r famous already ). Also an option. Some people sit on Wechat groups and waiting when next job offer pops up,so they can quickly reply, send a pictures ( portfolio, models usually ) to the agent, receive a location map of place where is the job or meeting happening etc. Could be used for work, fun, general life. As a photographer I share my photos on my Wechat wall, coz these days ( spec. in China ) people use more phone apps ( internet ) then computer internet . Of course u can ask, Why should I need this or that? We all have different needs, hobbies and lifestyle.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

As a matter of fact, I just purchased my 3rd cell phone here in China. The other 2 were perfectly fine but the battery ran out and I could no longer get replacements. The grand total for my 3rd phone was 399 RMB. The requirement for my new phone was big keys and the same recharger as my previous 2 phones.

I see people spending 2,3,4,5000+ RMB on phones I ask myself what for?

Used to be people hated the big (Bricks) cell phones that first came out. In time they got smaller and smaller - so small my fingers could not use any of the keys. I felt like the Rockman on the Fantastic 4 Movie hitting 3 keys at the same time. Now the phones are getting bigger again because most people want a bigger screen.

MSN or Yahoo, dont know which was first. But was asked to join so can chat with so-called freinds, Then came Likeden, Facebook, Twitter and a whole bunch of others. Came to China then it was QQ. Now you tell people you use QQ and they look at you like a dinosaur. I guess people have profiles and pictures in at least 5 of these things. Can't delete any of them even if you try.

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

Ok, I'm going to rise to the question of "what is the purpose of Wechat?" Lots of things to different people and yes, it is a bit Facebook like with the moments function.

What I use it for:
Instant messaging, especially when I don't need an immediate reply (I'd actually call if it was urgent!). I use it for social and work related messages.

Sharing photos...yes some are of the scenery, selfie, food variety bit for work issues in factories it is quick to send a photo then call to discuss the problem, especially if I don't have my laptop.

Locations.....sometimes when meeting friends were struggling to find places. The send location function works really well and links into various mapping apps.

Taxis....my wife has hers linked into didi dache so orders taxi on that app but pays for it with wechat.

Group chats/groups....I only use two. One private with some good friends, one a beer group! Most are a waste of time as its just gossip, trolling and lame comments.

I've not linked my bank card yet but plan to as I can then use the various top up & payment functions.

Free voice calls. Works better than Skype for both voice and video using wifi for chatting so saves on my phone bills.
Official accounts. Im linked to a number of live venues where I get gig updates so have an idea of any bands worth seeing (I live in Guangzhou and I prefer these notifications than using Douban)

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Went to Greenery Cafe the other day and they told us to order our food on we chat. We told them to give us a paper and pencil - Haha! I dont think I will be going there any more.

I dont know about others but it takes me longer to send a text message then it does for me to call and make my point and move on. Some people have sent me messages that are so long that it comes out on 2 seperate messages. Anyone who knows me knows they must call me on the phone because I do NOT read messages. I just delete them at the end of the week along with the 10 other china mobile messages I get.

People tell me it is cheaper to send a message then it is to call and I ask them how cheap can they be that they can not make a 15 sec call - But they have a 3000 RMB phone - I don't get it - Haha!

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

Ordering food using wechat? Now that is a complete waste of time! A bit like those restaurants that use iPads for their menus. Takes too long to order as you have to keep going back on pages to find the dishes. I much prefer a paper menu where, when I don't know the Chinese name, I can point and ask "wo yao zhige"!

Short messages are quick to type but I also leave voice messages on wechat. A lot quicker.

People have their own preferences. I think wechat is a good tool with the best bits of other chat apps put together well. Though not everyone likes it. Each to their own (I have an Irish colleague who still swears by his old Nokia standard phone. It makes calls, sends texts and the battery last over a week between top ups!)

Related forum threads

Login to post