GoKunming Forums

Exchange money

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

For that you don't need any special paperwork (you do for RMB into foreign currencies over a certain amount). I would look at the rate the bank is offering. You might get a better offer from one of the money-changers hanging around there, but make sure you do it as a direct deposit into your account to avoid the risk of counterfeits.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

At the Nanping Jie Bus Stop for bus 84 and 82 you will see a big Bank of China nearby. Right in front of the bank there are a few women who exchange money. You will receive a better rate from them than you will inside the bank, not to mention you will save a lot of time.

They will NOT rip you off as this is their business and they dont want a bad rep. I have used them several times and did not have any problems.

You can also go to the place I mentioned above and ask what their rates are before you exchange any money in front of bank of China so you know how much it will be.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

The money changers outside the bank in Wuhan were infamous for ripping people off by double counting notes / counterfeits and so on. Yes, that's Wuhan not Kunming but keep your wits around you and you may be fine.

I would just use the Bank of China. They have far better rates than most places.

Failing that there is a small money exchange at JiaoSanQiao (交三桥) next to the Bank of Asia. You could ask there but I've never used it nor do I know anyone who has. Still, its one more place to weigh up rates and its within walking distance of the BOC.

If you change money at the Bank of China you will be given a slip that's valid for 24 months allowing you to change the amount that you exchanged Euros to RMB back to Euros. This helps will help make changing any left over RMB back to Euros much easier as its usually a bit of a rigmarole.

Dervvish (5 posts) • 0

Thanks a lot to all - I'll take a look at the rates of the moneychangers that hfcampo mentioned in his post.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

The differences in exchange rates aren't very great, I believe - wonder if it's worth the trouble? I change at BOC.

Related forum threads

Login to post