GoKunming Forums

Welcome join our “Medical interpreters team ”

steve2014 (33 posts) • 0

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone has interest in joining our medical interpreters team to help the international patients in Chinese hospital, especially in Kunming.
I worked in American hospital a couple years ago, patients over there have no worries about the language barrier because hospital can always provide interpreters on site or through phone system . But in China, few hospitals can provide this kind of service. Foreigners feel headache to see doctor in Chinese hospital. So I am planning to organize an interpreters team to help both foreigners and Chinese hospitals.

Certainly, the members of this team should speak at least one language besides Chinese. If you have interest, please email me at privatehealth@163.com or follow up on this thread, thanks.

Luis Figo (44 posts) • 0

good idea, and people who can translate medical English words, describe disease to doctor is needed。but it will not be easy to find them

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

The Haiyuan Campus of Kunming College on Hai Yuan Road administers the Medical English Test System (METS) exam.

baike.baidu.com/[...]

My wife has already taken some of these exams as she is a student of TCM. I think this will be a good place to start to look for native Chinese speakers who also know Medical English.

steve2014 (33 posts) • 0

@culture, sorry, no pay at this moment, but later, if business developed, we may consider to charge for our service and pay our interpreters.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@Steve: Not a bad idea, but personally I doubt if it will work for no pay - perhaps you might get volunteers for serious cases, but not for the usual consultations - anyway, best wishes.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Just label it as "internship". Then there will be no need to bring up pay.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Honestly, I would be suspecting someone was flipping some half invisible bill somewhere, rather than just this philanthropic thing. Not saying it is so, but just saying it could be so. Theres the smell of small money here, and some are quite sensible for that.

It may be better with a straight deal: this is the service, this is the charge and this is the pay for interpreter. The pay doesnt necessarily have to be very high as the experience herein could be somewhat valuable. Looks okay on a CV and such, and it can be quite a demanding thing.

Related forum threads

Login to post