GoKunming Forums

Study at 121 street or Chenggong campus YNNU?

A12345 (102 posts) • 0

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between studying at 121 street of the Chenggong campus in Yunnan Normal University next semester. I have studied Chinese before and know my way around Kunming - not currently there - but have no info on the Chenggong campus.

My main concerns I can think of now:

— Cheap accommodation <1000 rmb per month easily available?
— Vegetable markets close by?
— Carrefour/Walmart or the like close by?
— Is the campus and surrounding area developed or still very new?

Thanks for any suggestions.

A12345 (102 posts) • 0

Thanks, 121 street it is then probably. It will be probably easier to find a cheap apartment at Chenggong though?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Maybe, but a very large percentage of teachers at the universities out there commute on university buses daily rather than live in the rather sterile place. Give it a few, or maybe more than a few, years and it may be different.

kingofthekerb (131 posts) • 0

in Chenggong:

— Cheap accommodation <1000 rmb per month easily available? yes

— Vegetable markets close by? many

— Carrefour/Walmart or the like close by? 25 mins by subway

— Is the campus and surrounding area developed or still very new? everything looks pretty new, they're building the new train station in the hills behind the campus but otherwise less construction than downtown kunming

bluegrass14 (126 posts) • 0

Another question for anyone who knows Cheng Gong—are there any places to rent that would have a small yard (so, a first floor place)? I've seen Yi Ming Yuan 颐明园, but most of those places are villas, and not for rent. Any other complexes with a yard?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Chengong University Town is a fantastic place to live. Now that it is established there are at least 2 foriegn bars and several local owned bars. Numerous restaurants to many to count. The Paris Cafe can meet all of your beer/pizza/burger needs. 3 good local supermarkets. Lots of computer/electrical stores. A thriving night market with a large street food area. Farmers come in the morning and afternoons to sell fresh produce.

Easy access to the metro line and so trips to town or even Beichen are easy.
In short the best place I have lived in, in China.

A12345 (102 posts) • 0

Thanks. Differing opinions. I guess I'll have to go and see for myself. I don't really feel up to finding an apartment online through km.58.com/chuzu/ (the only one I know) anyway.

Related forum threads

Login to post