Richland International Hospital

Forums

Oven with plug too thick for regular socket

NingSi (59 posts) • 0

The apartment I moved into has an amazing-looking oven. I can't wait to try it except that the plug doesn't seem to fit the electric socket.

I thought maybe it was a foreign plug that required a converter, but it seems to be the same design as a Chinese plug (top prong is vertically straight, the other bottom two are slightly diagonal) but just thicker. And when I looked online, it doesn't seem to match the design of a U.S., Brit, German, or Aussie plug).

Anyone ever encounter this? The brand is Siemens.

Krismoonpie (77 posts) • 0

The oven must be 16 amps whereas your socket is 10 amps. That means it requires higher amperage and wattage than the socket you are trying to plug it in to has to offer. 16 amp plugs are a bit larger to prevent plugging into a 10 amp socket potentially melting it or throwing your breaker switch. Look around for a socket that says 16a next to the holes as opposed to to 10a then maybe you can run a 16a 4000 watt power strip over to it. There may also be a lone 16a socket in your kitchen that you aren't seeing, check it out.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Yes, same thing with the heater I am currently using. It came with a spare converter with smaller and thinner pins though. Those would likely be available in most hardware stores.

Krismoonpie (77 posts) • 0

Yeah you can switch the plug head for a 10a one or use some kind of converter head but if the wattage is consistently really high there is a risk of melting the plug head/socket/breaker switch so finding a 16a socket is the best solution for safety. If you have a breaker box with individual removable plugs then you could also remove one of them and switch it for a 16a one.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Converter plugs of all sorts are available in Hong Kong, and I'm pretty sure you can find what you need if you look around in electric gizmo shops in Kunming as well.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

This brings into play all sorts of WRONG things about electrical codes - to include is the wiring up to standard and even capable of drawing that kind of amperage and or power.

IF you elect to simply replace the plug - it would be WISE to place a 16 amp circuit breaker inline - just in case you draw in excess of 16 amps...but really - have China Power come out, inspect the socket and the wiring all the way back to the circuit breaker - and pay the guy to install a 16amp socket for you.

That way - you may not melt the plug - but if your wiring won't handle it - you'll melt down the electrical wiring - potentially causing a short circuit or wire burn-out.

I checked the el-crappo wiring to the two lamps in our bathroom a few weeks ago - the copper core was no longer a copper color (it was some kind of silver/tin looking color) and one of the wires showed signs of burning (aka BLACK). I thought we were just having power control issues to the neighborhood when the lights would intermittently dim.

I also discovered the insulation had decayed and become brittle - creating perfect conditions for line breaks, short circuits, sparks, and electrical fires. Amidst much cussing - I replaced all the wiring from the central core (recognizable as solid copper cored wire) and used crimping connectors, which I then wrapped in electrical tape.

The electrical tape that was used looked more like some kind of cloth tape - but regardless of its insulation quality - it had also decayed into a hard brittle material that was a far cry from it's original flexible, pliable form - probably another electrical fire waiting to happen.

Long-story short - PAY the China Power technician to come out and replace the wall socket AND verify the wiring - maybe add in a separate circuit breaker for this socket (and label it yourself with permanent marker or a geeky label maker).

Finally - PRAY you get good luck and the tech is actually professional as opposed to some lazy glasshole gorilla pretending to be professional.

How to tell a professional from a gorilla - a professional will duct wire along the walls. A gorilla will string wire haphazardly along the ceiling.

Finally - a TRUE professional will clean up/police their mess (stripped wire casings, empty wrappers and boxes from any material they use, and they'll NEVER just twist two wires together and tape them up - they'll use either electrical connectors or splice boxes to splice wires together.

Finally, a TRUE professional won't smoke in your home and crush his cigarette butts on your floor (yes, I've seen and experienced lots of gorillas).

Enjoy - hope nothing catches fire during your tenure...

NingSi (59 posts) • 0

thanks!!!
the previous tenant had already been using the oven before renting to us. i'm assuming then that he just got a 16a converter/power strip and it worked ok without melting down.

would consider the professional if I were staying long term but it's likely we'll have to move out of here by the Fall. so prob not worth the investment of time, etc.
will be on the lookout to find a 16a power strip...
thanks again all!!!

Login to post Register to post