GoKunming Forums

Weird signals..

kmting (36 posts) • 0

So i was lying on my bed with my head near my speakers which are connected to my computer. I suddenly started hearing very quiet voices. After some confusion I realised it was coming from my speakers. At full volume the voices were only audible up close. It was some Chinese radio station. I presumed it must be from a website I visited or a pop-up. But after closing all windows and programmes there was still the transmission. Has anyone experienced this? I can't hear it without putting my ear close but still...why is my computer picking up this signal??
I have a mac, cheap Chinese speakers. I thought it may be an error from my Astrill VPN but the radio is still there when it is closed.

(just listened again..turns out it is a FM99 - a Kunming radio station, but still no idea why I'm receiving it)

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

I would bet on the speakers. I've experienced this phenomenon in the past and in the UK.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Sounds like radio interference.
Must be a transmitter near by; something is picking up the signal.
Copper coils in your speakers would be a suspect.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

This is kind of a shoddy fix - but try wrapping the non-speaker portions of your speakers in aluminum (aluminium) foil - it's a cheap, crappy Faraday cage-ish solution - which should shield your speakers from radio-transmitter sourced inductance.

If you're creative, you can crinkle up the foil and mold it, to make it sort of artsy-crafty-ish.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

I find wrapping my head in aluminum foil works great! Gets rid of pesky radio noises, voices telling me to do evil things, aliens, CIA interference, chemtrails and assorted conspiracies. :-)

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

As Mike suggests, you are probably picking up stray radio signals. Almost any loop of wire can act as an antenna.

We used to get this cross talk from local taxis that drove past. The source could even be walkie talkies from a local restaurant.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

New form of pollution - Geezer's solution is tempting - THEY are watching - turn everything off.

kmting (36 posts) • 0

I'm not into conspiracies but I didn't realise it was that easy to pick up radio signals like that so it was a like surprising.

But i will be wearing tin foil round my head in the future

Related forum threads

Login to post