GoKunming Forums

Mandalay flight and safety

parisianguy (45 posts) • 0

Zenme ban?! I have a ticket on flight to Mandalay tomorrow but with the curfew imposed on the city and the general unrest, I wonder if China Eastern airlines will let me postpone my flight until things calm down a little. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? Thanks!

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Not Mandalay, but Thailand recently when the curfew was imposed. Felt no problems out there at all.. buuuttt Mandalay? I'd try and postpone it if I were you.

Thanks Mprin. I had to buy a new Ctrip ticket to Rangoon (safer(?)) and just take the loss. Will stay an extra 5 days in Kunming. (!) getting a little bored here, though cuz I don't know anyone and haven't had a conversation in English or in Chinese that has lasted more than 2 minutes!

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

You haven't been over to Moondog or Salvadors yet? Great for meeting people. When I first got here, I didn't know anyone, but I always felt welcome at Moondog! If you want a quieter night, go tomorrow, sit and have a chat with Fried or Joost, the owners of Moondog. They are both great guys. : )

Nice idea. I'll try my luck at the bar stool at Moondog tomorrow night. I've been there once. You're right! Fried and Joost are genuinely nice people. Thanks! :)

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I wouldn't worry too much about Mandalay, nobody will be after you as a foreigner.

Dev2014 (9 posts) • 0

Nobody's gonna kill you, and if ANYONE does it will most likely be the government. :P

The fighting is between Buddhist biker gangs and muslims. Nothing new in the world as Muslims are really being thrown on the global shit list of the decade.

The good news is the terrorist cells of the mid east are not involved, as such it's all infighting. They try not to involve foreigners in their business. Some tribal groups that the government deems "dangerous" are actually Obama worshippers. The reason that curfews and things go into effect are not because you are in danger, but because the government wants you out of their way. The only real danger you'll face in Myanmar is if you take a walk in the countryside tall grass. Snakebite is one of the highest reports of hospitalization.

Related forum threads

Login to post