Keats School


Which University Chinese language program?

MrSmith (7 posts) • 0

Kunming has 4 Universities that offer Chinese Language programs for foreigners. I am hoping to move to Kunming to study, starting September. Which University and program do you suggest?

Kunming University of Science and Technology (KMUST)
Yunnan Normal University (YNNU)
Yunnan University (YNU)
Yunnan University of Finance and Economics (YNUFE)

There's seems to be very limited information available. Please help me!

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

There's limited information because they're all equally bad. Not to say you won't learn, but you're pretty much guaranteed 1950's style language learning. You may get lucky by having a good teacher, but don't count on it.

tigertiger - moderator (5080 posts) • 0

Try doing a search on here. The question has been asked and answered several times in the last year or so.
As said above, they are all much of a muchness.

Carlton (12 posts) • 0

To be honest I've studied in Yunnan university for long time, I've never been satisfied with any thing there.

tigertiger - moderator (5080 posts) • 0

I would contact each uni and find out which campus you will be at. If you can find a campus in the downtown area, and not out at Chenggong, you will find you non study hours more agreeable, as Chenggong is a long way outside the city and does not have much nightlife yet.

Remember that the study is usually only a small part of the experience.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

KMUST is also not that great. Rote learning, bad management, takes months to get a visa processed.

Probably the cheapest though. Depends how serious you are about learning.

baoandi (16 posts) • 0

I have been informed by a couple of different people that the Chinese Language and Culture classes at YNU are based at the city campus. I look forward to further confirmation.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Also, the Chinese language courses at KMUST are in the downtown campus.

Degree studies are at Chenggong.

MrSmith (7 posts) • 0

I'm serious about studying. Ive been in china 2 years now, I can get around but know I need to study to develop.

Yunnan University looks like it's my first choice so far but very little in it.

sbarella (105 posts) • 0

If you are not interested in doing a degree, but just in studying Chinese language, you could choose a private school. they are cheaper and classes are usually smaller. you can do a search here: Robert's, Huayang, Kcel, Keats. in the end it's all about which teacher you get tho...

Login to post Register to post