GoKunming Forums

Water randomly shutting off in apartment?

WayoftheSun (52 posts) • 0

We moved into this apartment about a month ago. Prior to us living here, the apartment had been vacant for about 5 months according to our landlord. We received a notice from management a week ago. Finally translated it a couple days ago and found out it was a notice to pay water/electricity. It wasn't until yesterday that our landlord was finally able to send us the address of where to pay.

Strangely though, for the past couple days, the water has stopped running for anywhere from two to four hours. It comes back on randomly and goes out again. Is there a chance this is because we havent had an opportunity to pay the bill yet? Can they just shut off your water? Or does this have to do with the freezing weather weve had the last couple days? I washed my hands, began cooking, and by the time i finished cooking, the water was out again so I cant wash dishes. Pretty frustrating.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

My water has been out all morning over near 121 street. Also afriends water has been off over near Xuefu road.
In my previous city, the water got shut off from non payment of bill, after it was paid it took them three days to turn it on again. Pay it ASAP.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Water off today until 12:30. Had to wait for the sun to thaw out the pipes.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Hot water pipes will freeze because people know there is no hot water during the cold spells so the water will freeze because of lack of use. The cold water pipes do not freeeze because they are constantly being used.

Take a friend who speaks chinese when you go to pay the bill and ask (1) When was the last time the bill was paid, (2) What was the amount paid and (3) What was the meter reading. (4) Make sure the meter reading matches the reading they took when you moved in.- see your contract.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Have never had any reason to suspect my utility bills here - there may be occasional screwups, although I haven't heard of any, but it's not anything you really need to worry about. And there are ways to save on water use, which has occasionally been in short supply over the past 4 years of Spring drought, though hopefully that will not be the case this coming Spring.

Recently I've had occasional low levels of natural gas supply around dinnertime, when people are cooking (I suppose this is the reason), so that I sometimes can't get hot water for an hour or two. This may be a reason for the construction of the gas refinery or whatever from Burma in Anning, though frankly I'd rather just live with the lower gas pressure, as I'll bet the thing is going to stink.

paulb (22 posts) • 0

My apartment building on Xuefu Lu has messed up pipes due to the freezing weather. The kitchen sink trickles a minuscule amount of water, leaving only the cold bathroom faucet available for use. The shower isn't working now either.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Our friendly neighbourhood handymen shut off the water to the solar heaters at the first sign of cold weather "so that the pipes wouldn't burst with frozen water", so we've had no hot water for a week apart from our overworked kettle. Not easy with a baby. I don't follow the logic of hot water pipes freezing but cold water pipes not. And has it been THAT cold that pipes are freezing solid??

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

@Ocean I'm guessing the same has happened in my place.. So do we have to go all winter with no water?

Related forum threads

Login to post