GoKunming Forums

Salsa, merengue, bachata or cumbia... in Kunming?

Binta (4 posts) • 0

Hello,

Where can I dance salsa, merengue, bachata... or cumbia in Kunming?

I would love to take professional lessons in any of the dance stylse mentioned above, but maybe that's wishful thinking? If not, where should I turn?

Is there a place in Kuming that plays this kind of music, a bar or a restaurant somewhere?

I know this questions have been discussed before on this site, but all the threads are old and things changes. But it's obvious that I'm not the only one who can't live without dancing. So please help me if you have any ideas!

Cheers!
Binta

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Check the events section. There are various restaurants/bars that have Latin nights with dancing etc. Most recent were at Cacao, Moondog and the other Mexican place, I forget the name.

Binta (4 posts) • 0

Thanks for the reply, I will check the event section! :)

However, last time I tried to go to such an event listed on this site, I got rather disapointed as there were no latin dancing at all... not even suitable music. Maybe I just chose the wrong event to go to.

- I would therefore be happy for any recommendations!

And, is there really no latin dance school in Kunming?

Binta

BKlove (10 posts) • 0

Hello Binta and GoKunming, I too am newly arrived in Kunming and in the process of getting settled. I was thrilled seeing this thread as I am a DJ from Brooklyn NY where I did LOTS of parties for those latin dances. Any New Yorkers out there? Wassuppp?!!!! And thanks mPRin for your suggestions, as you've given me a place to start searching for gigs. I will mos def keep the Latin dance massive updated once I start spinning parties. See y'all on the dancefloor!

Binta (4 posts) • 0

BKlove, I would be very happy if you kept me informed! I'm no pro, but I love that kind of music and I miss dancing a lot while staying in Kunming...

dj644 (2 posts) • 0

I'm also looking for salsa dancing. Why not dancing in the Cui hu park as the chinese people .? We need just an equipment to put music. Are they some people motivated and intersted to organize and/or participate?

BKlove (10 posts) • 0

As promised, bumping this thread to let Kunming's Latin dancers know it's going down this Friday night @ the Mask. I'll be spinning from midnight-2am. #Tumbao, #AfroCuban, #Dominicana, #P.R, #Columbia, #NYC!!!

-dj NAMSUNG+

chirean67 (6 posts) • 0

I just moved to Kunming a couple months ago and pretty much gave up on the idea that Latin dance would be a thing here. I've accepted it. I'm from L.A. and have taught salsa (on one), bachata, cumbia and merengue back home since it's a big thing there. Dancing is a big deal for me. If anyone is interested in starting a group, I can take part in reviving it out here. Or if anyone knows of a place that does it with a good vibe, it will help me survive out here much longer :). It doesn't have to be lessons. It can be any place with a floor and some good music.

Related forum threads

Login to post