GoKunming Forums

Change in Tibet travel restrictions??

hasenmanhasenman (48 posts) • 0

I heard from a Tibetan travel agent that the restrictions have subsided and now anyone can go without restrictions. Can anyone confirm this and/or have more info?

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

All I have heard is that now you can go essentially with no more than one other person, of any nationality. Not sure if 1 person can count as a "group" just yet...

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Ask any hostel in Chengdu. They are the main entry point for Tibet, and usually have latest info.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

In fact, a guangxi network has developed around Tibet permits. And corruption. This is particulary visible the times when only a certain number are let in. Even when Tibet is closed for foreigners, there are a certain tours making it. The right connections gives the right stamp. These connections you dont find in LP thorntrees or on public bulletin boards. When you know who can give the permit, you dont shout it in public, you keep it to yourself. Usually backpackers on a low budget dont get over the threshold.

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

@Peter99, sounds like you know some people like this?

Anyway, the OP is right that it has become easier to travel to Tibet this year, unlike last year. A friend of mine went with his mom (they have two different nationalities) - no problems. Permit was easy to get, but they did need to have a car with driver, who acted as their guide.

Related forum threads

Login to post