GoKunming Forums

Last night's scuffle on Wenhua Xiang

CromsonCromson (145 posts) • 0

Oh, i'm pretty sure there will be some anti-foreign-stuff after that... but like in my home-country... mostly fool ppl will participate.

Asanee (117 posts) • 0

My Chinese is just so-so, but using a combination of what I can read and google translate for the rest, it seems like an altercation between a "black" person leading a few more "expatriates" and some Kunming "residents". No idea why it started, the article didn't elaborate. The article mentioned the Salvador's bar owner.

I was waiting for a friend outside Salvador's around 8.30pm last night - everything was quiet. This must have happened much later at night then. Today around lunch time, not having any idea about this until I read the article, I walked past Salvador's and saw it was closed. I thought to myself, strange that, they are closed again? I think they were already closed last Thursday but at that time there was a sign on the garage door, this time there wasn't.

@Moderator, all I can say is ... I'm speechless. No idea why the scuffle broke out, and can't really see a good reason why either - one guy cursing about this and that - just stupid really. In general I mind my own business and I've always been OK. I think that whoever started this fight, whether local or foreigner should just start minding their own business and do what I do...if I'm alone I put on my poker face, I don't interact with strangers, I just walk down the street and ignore everyone I see hence I've always been OK.

What's wrong with people these days?

Anyway, the good news is that everything is calm today, no problems or evidence of anything whatsoever.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@Asanee Good advice. Let's face it. Some foreigners are trouble makers. They lose sight that they are a guest here and that the culture is different. I avoid all bars and clubs. I also avoid places where too many foreigners hang out.

Asanee (117 posts) • 0

@Liumingke1234, thanks. I agree with you that sometimes things get out of hand when some people, often foreigners, react in unbelievable ways which then backfire (mind you even back home if some of the people here were to react the way they do here, things would escalate too).

Back in 2011 I think it was I became aware of an incident, also on Wenhuaxiang, not sure if it was at Salvador's or at the Box bar where an American acquaintance (he was a student, possibly from Minnesota) of a good Chinese friend of mine (I knew who that American guy was, but I never knew him personally) apparently started a fight with locals after he got drunk. I'm not too sure of the details but it might have started with the American guy accusing a local patron of sitting on his sunglasses or something ridiculous like that, it escalated and then the American guy decided to push and shove, after which a beer bottle was used as a weapon to slice into his hands - in the end it was him and his friend against about 10 local Chinese patrons. After a short hospital stint, everything was back to normal but I was outraged when I heard that story - because it was an absolutely ridiculous way to react to a rather benign situation.

Bars and clubs are always problematic, no matter who frequents them. I don't like Kundu anymore and thus haven't been since New Year's last year. Nearby bars such as Moondog have a good atmosphere though - the only thing I am put off by is the cigarette smoke but this being China and especially Yunnan, most public places and in particular night entertainment spots are likely to allow (or at least tolerate) smoking for the foreseeable future. However, for me this is one further reason to greatly limit the frequency with which I visit bars and even many coffee shops such as the French Cafe.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Apparently, this is the conversation that transpired before the scuffle/altercation:

"Yo mama's so ugly she made an onion cry!"

"Yo mama's so dumb she got hit by a parked car!"
"Oh, yeah? Yo mama so fat that when she went to sea world the little kids ran away and told their parents... "

Then, the following sounds were heard.
Bang!
Thud!

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

Reporting on a skuffle is fine.
The original thread was moderated.
IMHO a good move.

If memory is working the thread was talking of 'rumours' of some event where the R word (rye-it) was used. We need to remember that people who posted, cascaded similar rumours on the net about another city and the R word, were recently jailed.

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

"They lose sight that they are a guest here and that the culture is different. "
Indeed. Though we may allow Chinese to emigrate and become citizens of our respective home countries we must never forget that when we come here we must eternally remain a mere "guest" of the Motherland.

Asanee (117 posts) • 0

@Chingis. I agree with you but I think this whole "being a good foreigner" is being taken out of context. What matters really is not what you look like or where you are from but whether you act like a decent person and don't cause trouble. I'm pretty sure that Chinese who commit crimes back home are also pigeonholed (i.e. stereotyped) like foreigners are here. In fact, whenever incidents like this do occur back home then there is always a whole lot of backlash on the internet with racial epiphets being spewed in every direction.

So what the OP has said about "different culture" is a bit of hogwash. Being decent and not acting in a criminal manner extends to all cultures, and has nothing to do with being a guest or not.

While no one seems to know the exact story here, I know that foreigners from certain parts of the world are a little more sensitive than those from others towards being called names or discriminated against and thus would try to fight back (sometimes violently) at such perceived injustices more readily than others, who would at most, just use harsh words or walk away. Perhaps this was the reason the fight started (based upon the obscenities mentioned by one of the "expats" in the article). Anyway I don't wish to speculate any further but without any further news about what really happened this is my 2 cents.

Related forum threads

Login to post