GoKunming Forums

Last night's scuffle on Wenhua Xiang

colinflahive (167 posts) • 0

Last night there was a fight on Wenhua Xiang that was provoked by one of our customers at Salvador's. When the people outside came into Salvador's with weapons, someone sprayed pepper spray to keep them back. This injured 15 people, some innocent bystanders. With the help of the police, both sides were able to settle the dispute and cover all of the medical expenses.

Salvador's has been a part of the Wenlin Jie community for nearly 9 years and we have always been a place where both foreigners and Chinese can have fun together and feel safe doing so. We sincerely apologize for this incident and will do everything we can to make sure it never happens again. And we hope that Salvador's will continue to be welcomed in your community.

Thank you,

Salvador's Coffee House

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I think the stupidest way to approach this sort of thing is to consider it some kind of conflict between 20% of the world's people (Chinese citizens) and the other 80% (non-Chinese citizens) - but that seems to be the kind of bottom line idiocy that nationalist indoctrination everywhere puts in people's heads - the idea that the world can intelligently be divided, anywhere, into 2 groups - 'Us' and 'foreigners'. However, the fact that many foreigners choose to live here for years without learning more than 6 words of the language does not exactly lead them to any intelligent understanding of their social environment, or of any specific individual within it.

As for the specific incident and the individuals involved, I know nothing but second-hand stories.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

And idiotic postings by people who admit that they know nothing, but are quick to throw in their conjecture don't help.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

I ate and met some nice people at Sals Tueday and everything was normal. I left about 8pm before the incident. The incorrect actions of one foreigner, however provoked, should not result in a group armed assult responded to by pepper spray. Blaming Salvadors is simply incorrect. Wen Hua Jie has long been full of "illegal" street vendors with I suspect some gang type ties. My question is what are the authorites going to do to fix this regular night time activity? I hope not blame Salvadors.

Tedeth (2 posts) • 0

Quoting Churchill in a post about the dangers of alcohol. I really hope you're being ironic.

As far as the Salvador's incident goes, i think it would be better for them, and us, if we didn't comment at all. Let things settle, let them deal with it, and stop with the conjecture and half-truths, it does nobody any good.

Sam W (11 posts) • 0

Colin, I was there along with a couple of other waiguoren, if things still require some PR, e.g. Me reading from an 'I love China' script while waving a Chinese flag in front of a local journalist, let me know.

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

I don't think we are just guests. Stating my Residence permit...I am a permanent resident, and since all diplomatic exchange is based on the laws both countries agree on. I think you should have the right to say what makes you upset, especially is most Chinese feel the same about it.

And from there control frustration and other negative energy.
The problem of living in China is that it is demanded from you that you love China especially all the bad stuff, like a first day communist.
You can;t even put a teapot on the table without ruining Chinese culture or upsetting someone .

If I use the same argumentation or words as my wife when she complains about something to a random local, she gets a smile and I get a face as if I will be beaten any second.

Most Chinese have to learn tolerance and compassion and to take a little bit of "Constructive Criticism" (Which cursing and blaming isn't)
If everytime a Chinese would be beaten up after behaving badly or complaining, in the place I call home (one of the major destination for asian travellers). There would be nothing but news reports every day.

Calling someone a dogs and beggars is wrong, no questions asked and he or she deserves a beating for it. But I am sure it would never have been such a brawl if it would have been a Chinese person shouting it.
Plus call me naive but I have seen a few brawls and maybe foreigners are cowards but we don't beat up one guy with massive groups of pengyou's. As it happened to me in the past. When I was attacked (multiple times), there was never a group smaller than 4 to 1, me being the '1'.
Maybe a lot of Asians have a hard time in the U.S. but in most places in Europe you are treated as equal with exception of a few radical groups.
So I would recommend the same attitude from Asian countries since it is their 'face' in question.

Also stopping these "hate foreigners movies and media" would be great. You can see it kicking in everytime when a foreigner is not acting chinese and the situation is often tense in an everyday situation.

I wish everyone to get along well, becasue it is possible if people would actually try. But it demands tolerance from both sides not just from one. And always saying but that is our culture for thousands of years doesn't help, with this argumentation we would still trade slaves, burn witches, and behead thieves. Dumba** foreigners and "chinese cultural couch potatoes" are not helpful.

Related forum threads

Login to post