GoKunming Forums

Marathon

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

Kunming does not have a marathon. China has marathons in Beijing (October), Shanghai (November 30th), Macau (December), Hong Kong (February) and Xiamen (March). Other than the Shanghai date, which i've already looked up for 2008, others are approximate and based on previous years. I understand there's also one in Dalian, but i haven't run it, and i don't know when it takes place.

Of these marathons, i'd recommend Xiamen over all others, as it's an interesting city that's relatively cheap and straightforward to visit, and the supporting crowd is lively. Hong Kong would be the one to avoid, as it's a lonely course with little to no crowd access.

If you're after a PB (PR) time, maybe Shanghai, as i think it's the flattest.

Kunming's altitude, weather and healthy eats make it a great place to train. Good luck!

ChesterCopperpot (8 posts) • 0

Thanks for that buddy. Im going to look into the Xiamen marathon on your advice.

Do you know any good places outdoors to train in Kunming? So far im restricted to the gym as Im uncomfortable with the amount of people around.

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

www.xmim.org/en/ is the website. In common with the other Chinese marathons, you'll probably find solid information late to arrive on the website. This site marathon.hk/index.htm is saying 3rd January for Xiamen 2009, which seems to be confirmed by www.xmim.org/en/xmnews/index.asp?ID=251 (look at the weeny print in the image).

The course on the site seems similar to the one i did in 2005 - the only part i'd say to look out for is the last 10km (which is also the first 10km, due to the looped course) which is gently undulating - and those slopes can make themselves felt after you're 30km down.

The most unusual part is the bit that appears on the map to be in the sea (28km-31km), which is actually up on an elevated road above the shoreline.

Training in Kunming - i've been lazy of late, but i did do a run a few weeks back which weaved through the Technology University, up Baini Shan, and then across Xuefu Lu and up Jiaochang Lu (gets a little steep up there).

Generally, the amount-of-people issue is best solved by running late or early. Laps of Cuihu Park used to be a popular training ground, but that's become extra mafan since they went tree-planting crazy. Another interesting one might be to follow the Panlong River.

Wooo, where are my running shoes...?

Millie (3 posts) • 0

Hey guys,

I have been running around Cuihu and looking for other places to run so thanks for that... I am up to do a half marathon if anyone is looking for a running/training partner...? I am not the fastest runner and early mornings are probably the best..

Shanghai and Xiamen both look good altho not sure about the pollution levels in Shanghai?

ChesterCopperpot (8 posts) • 0

Ill need to find these places you've both mentioned up to now on a map so I can try them. I think there may be one place pretty close to me which also looks pretty good. Once I find the name out Ill post it on here.

Ill be in for the half marathon since I have never run a marathon before. Baby steps and all that.

Dammit, I dont have proper running shoes yet.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

Run up West Mountain. You can get pretty close to the base by public bus if you don't want the hassle of jogging out there.

Millie (3 posts) • 0

I have started running with a couple of friends and would be keen to explore places other than Cuihu. Not sure if others are interested in starting a running group?

If you are interested in joining us email me Lucymillie@gmail.com

Nathan (2 posts) • 0

Yep, got my new running shoes, and running three mornings a week with Millie around Cui Hu. Come join us, it's excellent fun! We're taking it pretty easy, but steadily, and as we progress we'll start throwing in some interval training as well. Contact Millie above.

Related forum threads

Login to post