GoKunming Forums

Dear Foreign Musicians

geosax (14 posts) • 0

Playing music for money is something that every self-respecting musician wrestles with, and not just in China. What is my talent, time and effort worth in terms of musical, monetary and social rewards? Each musician has to answer that for him/herself. In China, it's a bit more complicated because "monkey shows" sometimes can feel so demeaning (not to mention the racist overtones), but on the flip side, agreeing to play different types of commercial shows here (weddings, conventions, company parties, music videos, etc.) has enabled me to experience aspects of life in China that I wouldn't otherwise have had the opportunity to see, and I've gained a lot of interesting insights, stories and video clips along the way. I'd also like to think (perhaps naively?) that some of our performances have exposed some Chinese people to types of live music that might have enriched their lives in some small, or possibly large, way. From time to time, I receive feedback along those lines. (O.k., maybe not that birthday party for the rich 12-year-old girl we played with the magicians and guys in animal costumes at that mansion it took us 3 hours to find way out past the new airport! But certainly, the American pop music and camaraderie we contributed to the international music festival in Xishuangbanna, the jazz for the company parties, weddings, and many other functions.) My point is that not all "commercial gigs" around Kunming are "monkey shows," and I'm not sure what good it would do for foreign musicians to boycott everything. It's not going to change the Chinese desire to have westerners at their functions, and would miss opportunities for cultural exchange.

It's been really fun playing all different types of music with all different types of people from all over the world (including many fine Chinese musicians) whose paths happened to lead through Kunming around the same time. (And not necessarily just in smoky bars with drunk people rolling dice, slamming foosball and yelling. )

I like the idea of us having some basic guidelines that we agree to follow, and what's been presented by @rocket and @weekapaughead sound good to me. Of course, it's impossible to enforce, but it's good to have this discussion and some general agreement about how we deal with agents.

Marc0746 (33 posts) • 0

I think it's great you feel your commercial gig experience has enriched your experience in China. But after you've got your fill of these gigs, let's put our heads together and think of ways to create a real music scene in Kunming. Look at the Events section in Gokunming for this Friday. How may live gigs? 5...Saturday? 3... We can make all the money we want playing a commercial gig, but in the end, this is our city. We have a responsibility to develop it that goes far and beyond a series of commercial gigs. Aside from playing commercial gigs, what are you willing to do to improve this city's music scene? As guests in this developing country, we have this responsibility and obligation.

rocket (8 posts) • 0

With all due respect Marc0746, I appreciate your views on boycotting gigs. We all want and support a healthy Chinese local music scene. However, 2 guys playing guitar in front of a hyundai show room near the airport is not (to my mind) going to derail the future of music in this city. Yes, live music needs to be supported. Yes, original, local music needs to be supported. Nobody would disagree with that. This has nothing to do with that.

Can we get back to how to band together our voices on this issue?

Maybe a meeting somewhere?

Marc0746 (33 posts) • 0

Rocket, The problem is not just 2 guys, it's more like 2 guys multiplied by just about every foreign so-called musician that sets foot in Kunming ends up on a long-term basis taking their piece of the pie from the monkey gig circuit. Ok, cool, make some bread, meet some people, and at the same time practice your music. But when this is all said and done, what effort are they then truly making to help this city? Rocket?? I'd love to come to your meeting, and the local police and visa authority would love to hear about the location as well, since the monkey "bands " are in-fact on a regular basis illegally collecting money without a proper Entertainment work-permit, which really does need to be reported by Gokunming, just as the recent incident of the official in the airport needs to be reported, and at the same depth. Seriously man, think about what it is this city really needs? It's got enough dudes already milking the monkey gigs for all they can give. Let's get some guys thinking on how to put energy into more productive things. This is our city, the depth of music in this city goes far beyond a string of commercial gigs. It needs everyone's help...

Our band has just started up a blues jam at a local bar. It's purpose is to provide both local and foreign musicians with a place to come work on their music, a place to meet others and talk about music, to improve the music scene. Anyone interested in donating some time to the cause? Geosax, We've jammed together at the Halfway House, I've heard you play sax and know you can play. Interested in helping us get this thing off the ground? Roberto, we've done the bar lounge thing together at the Sunny Bar before you split for Cheng Du, can you recommend any players to come out and support us? Rocket, Weekapaughead, can you support this cause?

Marc

Marc0746 (33 posts) • 0

Rocket, the last thing I want is anyone's respect. Expecting respect is a waste of time and this world will respect no one who insists on the clearly ILLEGAL manipulation of Chinese commercial entertainment gigs for self-profit. It doesn't matter if you are Wes Montgomery on guitar, Louie Armstrong on trumpet, Jaco Pastorius on bass and Buddy Rich on drums, it is unethical, illegal and just flat-out wrong. Now let's start a forum on this subject and see who's willing to participate?

If a musician wants to live in Kunming,or any city for that matter and play their music, well cool, get your material together, put the leather to the pavement and take the music to the bars or to the street, get your fair reimbursement for your hard work and get fans who love your music Now that is what a real musician does, there is no other way to accomplish it.

In this situation, the object that needs the most respect is Kunming. When will foreigners without a legal entertainment work-permit stop the illegal collection of money from commercial entertainment performances? Will it take a report to the local newspaper or security bureau to stop this illegal activity. Foreign musicians who insist on performing long-term illegal enterainment are no different than those who insist on polluting the environment from uncontrolled factories. You think I'm joking? I am not. All it takes is one visit to the security bureau and the party is over.

When will we begin to respect Kunming?

Marc0746 (33 posts) • 0

The words, actions and intentions of the foreign musicians and those who support them who have posted here, are already now all clearly documented in full detail on Gokunming, stored on computer and in full view of all, and open to any Chinese security official who has the need to investigate them. Are we truly willing to forsake the privilege the Chinese government imparts on us to reside in China, in exchange for large incomes from illegal entertainment performances? In our conscience, is it truly worth it? I don't need a translator, I'll go to the Security Bureau myself and explain to them in extremely clear Mandarin what exactly has been happening inside the Laowai music circle for the past 10 years. I've known Officer Zhao for years and he's always willing to throw a wrench into a wheel for the sake of his country.

Related forum threads

Login to post