GoKunming Forums

Temples in Kunming

Natsymir (101 posts) • 0

Found in google maps with a quick look:

Wugu temple 五谷店 (north of Golden temple, across the mountain)
Yungan si 云感寺 (close to the bamboo temple it seems)
Jinding si 金鼎寺 (close to xuefu lu; I live close by and have never seen any hint of this temple's existence)
Zhangjia temple 张家寺 (in the far outskirts of the city in the north, close to the Songhuaba reservoir)
Baoen temple 报恩寺 (close to Zhangjia temple)
Gaomiao temple 高庙 (in Chenggong, close to lake Dianchi)
Baohua si 宝华寺 (in Chenggong north of Gaomiao, close to the Panlong river)
Guanyin temple 观音寺 (Close to the Zhangguanyin second hand market off Puji road; I've been in the area several times and never seen any hint of its existence).

Whatcha think, guys? Have you heard about any of these?

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Wugu temple 五谷店

Exceedingly difficult to find or inaccessible or Google just has it plain wrong. I spent 30 minutes on a bike looking for trails to this temple. I asked the locals around the area for directions. Many had not heard of this temple, and one old woman pointed, but I was unable to find a route. There are no signs of any kind pointing to the temple, and it's not visible from any direction, even though I kept checking the gps and where it was on Gmaps. Gave up and finished my ride.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Small temple off Dianchi Lake

Put this in Gmaps. 24.91142,102.648852. You have to look at the green arrow and use sat imagery.

It's a small local temple with a superb view of the lake right outside it. No tourists ever make it there. It was very antiquated when I first found it, but has been remodeled since. I like these small out of the way temples with no active monks or even caretakers sometimes. Just a donation box for the candles and incense they leave out. Usually, the ones by water like this have a sea theme, but this one didn't much.

BillDan (268 posts) • 0

In the same vicinity as Haiyuan Si (temple) is Miaogao Si, up in the mountains a little to the east of Haiyuan Si. The only way I persnally know to get there is by hiking up into the mountains along some trails the villagers here use. There are roads to the temple, but no buses. There are some shrines along the way and construction on a Fengshang Chi (???), or a Buddhist pool for releasing animals to freedom, was stopped but is still there along the trail, and it may get finished one day. All it seems to need is the water, of which is a short supply lately I suppose.

It is a cool temple and one that not too many people know about really as it requires a hike to get there. Local people used to trek up there with water bottles to get some of the fresh temple spring water for free. Due to abuse of the system the temple controls this more now and the water is not free in quantities and is not always available, but you may be able to get a free bottle of water from the tap still.

Gompo (152 posts) • 0

Jinding si, i have been there, it exists ! Quite noisy though if you wanted do meditation...

There is also a shaolin temple in a big compound by bus 31. Is possible train there on donation.

Seems pretty active members here, would you like we organize something like veget aryan dinner or go temple ?

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

If anyone is interested in going Temple hunting, I am game. I have found several small temples but did not bother to put them on my website but I know there are a few more I have not seen yet. We can schedule a different temple each week provided there are blue skies and is not cloudy for sake of pictures. I prefer to visit the temples by bus rather than bike because I would like to post the directions online for others to follow.

Here are the directions for Tan Hua Temple. You can take any of the buses I have listed. My last visit was in April 2012 so the buses listed should still be current. I was lucky to catch a Rabbit Cloud above the temple on the day I visited this Temple.

www.hugoyunnantravel.com/des_kunming.asp?page=7

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

@HFCAMPO, I am fairly new in Kunming and have found your website very helpful for reference. One of my biggest problems navigating kunming is trying to figure out the buses. I know the bus that will take me downtown on Bejing Lu and the 2 buses from my little bus station where i now live in NW Kunming but figuring out where the buses you list to many of the kunming attractions originate from has me lost. My wife who has lived here for the past 10 years does not even know where most of the buses are from or are going to. If you or anyone has helpful advice would be greatly appreciated from this person.

Related forum threads

Login to post