GoKunming Forums

New Chinese language students in Kunming?

Carts13 (3 posts) • 0

Are there any other new Chinese language students arrived in Kunming for the new semester after Spring festival?

If so where are you guys hanging out at the moment and how are you finding KM?

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

@ Fried

Cool self promotion. I met some at Game Cafe. Is that your other cafe? All of them should go to moon Dog! This place rocks!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

They nearly all hang out at the many bars and cafes around the Yunnan University campus (and many other campuses), specifically the bars and cafes on Wenhau Xiang (Culture Alley) and Wenlin Jie (Wenlin St). This is where they will mostly be to start with, until they begin to explore the city.

Some will eventually find thier way to Moondog which is on the other side of the city centre.

SwedishGuy (22 posts) • 0

Hi,
I'm going to attend to Chinese language classes the coming semester. Currently I'm in Guangzhou and just waiting for some documents to arrive after the CNY.

It would be great to make some new foreign friends here in China.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Hi
I'll be arriving in July for the August semester if any of you guys are still around?

ADB65 (3 posts) • 0

hey, i'll be around in september. if anyone has any info on hostels to stay at, how to find private accomodation, any potential problems i should anticipate or prepare for (i.e. i'm already in china on a business visa, i've been told i can change it to a student visa when i get to school, is this accurate) or anything i should look forward to.

look forward to getting in touch with any other students.

b galipeau (48 posts) • 0

If you are on an (F) business visa and you will only be taking classes for six months or less you don't have to change it. This type of visa is multi-purpose and is used for short term studies under six months. I recently took Chinese classes at Yunda with the (F) visa I had already obtained and they had no problem with it and didn't require me to change it.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Hi ADB65, where will you be studying?

b galipeau:I am studying 6 months, no more F visas available for that from 1st July 2013 unfortunately, you have to get an X then change it for a residence permit.

ADB65 (3 posts) • 0

mprin, I'll be at yunnan shida for one semester. do you know of any facebook or other groups for incoming or past students there?

b galipeau, I'm on a business visa but i have to leave the country every thirty days right now, I was told that that was the max duration of stay if you apply out of your home country, as I did, though the reason why wasn't very clear. my visa is valid only until october though, so if the uni could help me convert it to a student visa/resident permit that would obviously be best. actually tomorrow a friend of mine is taking me to get a residence permit in kaifeng, but i don't know if I will be able to continue using it in kunming. in china the rules about these things are always very hazy, i think every immigration officer has their own interpretation, which tends to be very liberal if you have some personal or professional connection.

by the way, does anyone have any comment on kunminghua? I've heard from some it's very tough for an intermediate learner, and others say its no problem at all. in other places with difficult fangyan i had no problem communicating when talking one on one, but in groups of locals they rarely speak putonghua, makes keeping up with the conversation a nightmare... are young people in kunming like this?

Related forum threads

Login to post