GoKunming Forums

GoKunming site - another idea, what does everyone think?

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Hey, how about having an upcoming Editors choice event or something on the front page? This could be an advertised event or a special local event that you think is pretty cool. An example would be the rugby yesterday - I missed going because it was hidden away in the events section, not really grabbing any attention.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Then someone would say, 'I missed out on the world macramé championship because the editors choice focussed on Rugby, and the macramé was hidden in the events section.'

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@blobbles Don't hold your breath. This site really isn't innovative. They are very slow to change. It's become quite boring. It might as well be a message board.

sean1sean1 (82 posts) • 0

I think your being unreasonable Liumingke...GoKM is a business and it is reasonable for them to put the event in the lower part when saturdays are already packed with people who pay them for their services. I don't think it is GoKM's job to take everyone event that might be of interest to a few select people and clutter up the events page even more. In my opinion, They have provided adequate coverage of the rugby team's progress in the last year.

In addition, it would be easy for the planners of the match to make a special announcment in the forum or classified for free if they want to put in the extra effort.

Liumingke, for being a much more active user on the site than myself, it seems silly from my perspective that you can be so openly critical while using the site so much. In respect to your patronage, they seem to have done enough to draw you in.

Like I said. It's basically a message board. When the new owners took over, I thought things would improve. They really haven't done any changes. We still get plenty of spam. They always say: "We're working on it". Mind you it's been quite a few months. As far as drawing me to this site, this is basically the ONLY site in Kunming for expats.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

Actually I have seen improvements in more and different sorts of events being listed this year. Patrick's articles are very interesting. There are two other Kunmning based English websites that are not as useful or interesting as GOKM. It is a business and foreigner owned which I bet makes it even more difficult to operate, since China is sensitive about the internet. Sure it an be improved with time and money. I certainly would not want GOKM to go away.

Xiao Bub (2 posts) • 0

I heard some bars are coming together to create there own site.So they can put more information on it about their events.Gokunming told them that they would upgrade the website but they never did. Also Events are always changed and not put online the way the advertisers want to. I think the site is going downhill.

sean1sean1 (82 posts) • 0

I once again think it is unreasonable to say the site has not made improvments since going under new managment. The number of events, travel articles, news articles on the right hand site have steadily increased, and the general presentation of the site has improved in my opinion. It is also important to mention that during the transition, an opportunity was given to all users to provide feedback on how they would like to see the site improved...Liumingke, I would guess based on your number of posts that you were around during that time. If not, there are still ways for you to give your two cents now.

My problem with what you've said, Liumingke, is not your original post, because it is auctually quite constructive, but your second post, simply because it is full of griping and negativity that does nothing to help the GoKM team improve the site, is something that needs to be objected too.

Anyway, sure GoKM isn't perfect, but coming from a city with perhaps four times the foreign population of KM without a single site worth a shit for local expats and tourists alike, GoKM has always been a bit of a godsend for me. I think most of the site's users would side with me.

Never said the site wasn't useful. Never said it was garbage. I simply stated that the site overall hasn't really been improved that much. I was around when they asked what changes can be made to improve and one of the things that most of us has suggested was a 'spam button'. This was over 5 months ago I believe but not sure. Besides that, the site is kind of bland. Like I said, it's like a message board. Again, this is MY VIEWPOINT. You don't have to like it. Everyone's entitle to there opinions. Like they say: " Opinions are like assholes. We all have them and they all stink". :-).

Related forum threads

Login to post