GoKunming Forums

Be careful lads

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

Rally within hearing distance from my place. The speakers calling for the murder of all Japanese and the destruction of Japan. Seems local government approved since it's set up on a public square, lots of banners and the police is there to direct traffic (and nothing else). Also, plenty of cars here driving around nationalist style with flags and scary banners. This is taking an ugly turn and with the tendency for some Chinese to jump from words to violence very quickly, we probably should thread lightly.

Archengager (10 posts) • 0

Fist of the legend movie! Old story - new decorations! It's the War of Illusions! Compassion and tolerance will save the world in these crazy times! New vibrations are upon the earth causing destruction of the sociopolitical realm! It is time to wake up! Resident evil - new release!

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Also today is the anniversary of the day the Japanese invaded China so I understand the anger the Chinese are feeling.

chris8080 (226 posts) • 0

that's mental. probably best to keep a low profile. this morning i almost went out wearing a uniqlo t-shirt which is covered in japanese writing. what a schoolboy error that would have been

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Any of these happening in the north-east? Would be good to know which streets/areas are advisable to avoid when we are going out

tommann (423 posts) • 0

Calling for the murder of all Japanese people? My god, how stupid. Truly a mob of idiots.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

@tommann, I agree. One moderate advantage of being Japanese though is that the Chinese can't generally distinguish them from their own by appearence alone. What that'll mean is that a random Japanese person walking in the wrong area wouldn't be targeted unless they're heard speaking Japanese, by their clothing or something like that. Sure, that doesn't bring any extra comfort to anyone though as personally, calling for the murder of an otherwise peaceful nation is absolutely bonkers.

Sure, we should all be careful as per the OP's warning, but since most users on this forum are not Japanese, I don't see why there should be additional concerns if you are a westerner, Thai or any other non-Japanese provided you steer clear of demonstrations and the like.

Speaking of demonstrations, I thought they were illegal in China? I have never personally witnessed one and many Chinese people whom I like to get an opinion about something that could be deemed controversial, they generally choose not to answer despite me asking in English (to be safe) and talking amongst friends in a busy restaurant or at home, where nobody else would be able to take much notice of what we're talking about anyway.

The economic repurcussions of allowing these demonstrations and this anti-Japanese rhetoric to continue could cost the Chinese economy dearly:

I think Thailand and Vietnam can look forward to the benefits of increased investment from Japan as the Japanese decide to abandon factories and investments in China in favor of those two countries, which have a very pro-Japanese business environment. Already Thailand is Japan's major base for producing Japanese cars for export markets and this position will likely be strengthened further in coming years. While last years flooding was bad, causing major losses in production and productivity, with careful management that will hopefully not be repeated anytime soon. Vietnamese wages are much lower than Chinese wages and this fact alone has already forced many businesses across to Vietnam from China.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Some people just don't know when shut the fuck up. I guess the intent of the above posts is make all foreigners targets of the protesters. Thanks guys.

Aha...here we have evidence to support what I just said!:

edition.cnn.com/[...]

I believe that many Japanese businesses will be thinking about leaving China permanently though, not just closing temporarily as CNN claims.

BTW I thought 7-11 was American, not Japanese? In any case, Thailand easily has the most 7-11 stores in the world (excluding only perhaps the USA) with more than 3000 stores and more opening all the time. Just as I thought there could finally be a 7-11 opening in Kunming sometime soon but this now seems unlikely.

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.