GoKunming Forums

E-bike restrictions

EncryptedEncrypted (114 posts) • 0

So now even old bicycles are going to be faster than e-bikes?
And what company is going to want to insure e-bikes??

The problem are not the e-bikes, but the people that ride them. I've been using one for more than two years almost everyday without any accident. The problem are the drivers that don't know anything about how to drive, and the cars that just don't care and turn without looking! Never! Most of the accidents I've seen with e-bikes it's because a car turns at full speed without even looking if there are e-bikes coming. The e-bike doesn't have time to stop.

E-bikes cross red lights, go the wrong direction, use pedestrian sidewalks, etc. Give a fine to these people, don't just ban e-bikes...

My e-bike is a big-heavy one and I always ride it with my gf on the back because right now I can't afford another e-bike. And even if I could, I find it stupid riding two e-bikes to the same place when we could ride only one.

So if they ban my e-bike I'm not going to buy two more e-bikes. Maybe what they want is that I buy a car, I think there is still a spot for one more car on the roads.

I vote for only big-high speed e-bikes on the streets and no cars. LOL

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

I think people are confusing the issue. It is not a restriction issue, more of a regulation issue. The new edict is a vast improvement over the outright ban they have right now, and this is in fact most likely due to the push back by citizens. They are now saying they're going to re-classify these heavier, faster e-bikes as a light class motorcycle and hence you need a license to operate one.

It boils down to this, the e-bikes people ride now doesn't resemble a bike anymore and shouldn't even be called e-bike, more like e-moped. An e-bike is a bike chassis that is outfitted with a small motor and battery to assist human peddling, however, the peddles are still there. This kind of e-bike is under the 20kmh/40kg limit and hence would not be regulated.

The arguments I'm hearing against regulation probably could be heard in the early days when they started requiring driver's licenses due to the increase in accidents. The drivers back then, I'm sure, will point out that it is not the vehicles themselves but the bad drivers causing the accidents. And that's the whole point behind requiring licenses. Making sure people understand that they have a responsibility when operating these equipment.

If we back up a bit and look at western countries especially the US, owning a old beat up car is a cheap of transportation for the middle class. Should we then say the drivers of these cars shouldn't be regulated and just leave them alone? Of course not. And it shouldn't be the case either with e-bikes.

I have a Chinese driving license. Does that mean I don't need to worry? I just carry the driving license with me and I'll be fine?

The thing is when I tried to register my e-bike they told me that mine can not be registered. It looks like they want to get rid of that brand...

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

@Encrypted, I think it's two different licenses. Driver's license are very specific to the category of vehicles you can operate because it involves different skill sets. The official policy hasn't come out yet. I think the government is letting the cat out of the bag to see what kind of support they have.

We'll all have to wait for the details.

Stevenbox (1 post) • 0

In China actually it won`t totally happen,there are always a rule under a rule,90% of E-bike in the street beyond 25km/h,no worry about it.

My gf told me that on the news there was an interview to the Police about this issue. The Police denied everything, they said it's just a rumor going on the Internet.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

If anyone has seen info about this on the net can you post a link, I haven't seen any info about it so far, guess like encrypted said its a just internet rumour

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

If anyone has seen info about this on the net can you post a link, I haven't seen any info about it so far, guess like encrypted said its a just internet rumour

The last sentence in this article says that it's not official. It's just information that has been going around the Internet.

"记者从车管部门也了解到,配套新国标的电动自行车管理办法尚未出台,目前他们对电动车的管理还是按照现行规定执行。"

Related forum threads

Login to post