GoKunming Forums

Did anyone try one.on.one at YNNU?

Dirty Harry (3 posts) • 0

Hi,

Next year I'm probably going to Kunming. I thought it's a good idea to try one.on.one classes at YNNU. Did anyone try them? Was it a good experience?

Did anyone try a homestay there? I read that the family lives on campus. Any experience with that?

Thanks,

xjwjean (16 posts) • 0

I am native Kunmingese, and I am teaching foreigners Chinese. But I don't know anything about YNUN's learning course. If you need help, you can contact me.
E-mail:663255930@qq.com

pickley (17 posts) • 0

I would go for the small classes. It's more social and you make friends instantly with the same Chinese level as you. It's also a lot cheaper.

IF you do stay in a homestay, make SURE they don't speak Kunminghua. It will not help your Chinese in the slightest. If you can, find a homestay with people originally from a different city, or when the husband/wife are from different places. I made that mistake when I came here.

I do know some people doing one on one, and it's good. But I'd advise going for the small classes.

Dirty Harry (3 posts) • 0

Thanks both for reply.

I'm still studying the different options, but I think that if I go to a small class I will have the irresistible urge to speak English with my classmates, and it will hinder my progress. It's not my mother language, but the easiest way to communicate to others. On the other hand, I also considered that the small classes are the better way in order to get a fast integration in a totally new envirnoment.

Very useful information about homestays. As the university will arrange that I'll have to demand it clearly.

pickley (17 posts) • 0

All of your classmates will be thai/vietnamese and their English would be terrible. Just don't speak it with them. None of your classmates are there to learn English either. I started this way and my Chinese is very good for how long I've been studying.
Plus, the chances of making a Chinese friend that is willing to talk such basic Chinese with you is very very slim, they'd rather speak English. You'll be better off talking to someone learning the language as well!

HollyB (7 posts) • 0

I doubt there are many people in Kunming who DON"T speak Kunminghua - however you might ask if you can be placed with a family that also speak Mandarin.

When I was here last, I was in a small class with friends from the same uni. I'm sure we improved over the short course, however our other uni friend (who was at a different level) got a class all to himself - and I KNOW that he improved lots in the short amount of time. How could it fail if you were one-on-one? Depends on your learning style I suppose, but I think that you can always hang around Foreigner street if you feel the need for company ;) and learn one-on-one to improve your Chinese...

Related forum threads

Login to post