GoKunming Forums

Coloradans and guns

tommann (423 posts) • 0

JJ and Janice: I truly understand your point. I really do. If someone is determined to murder, he or she will find a way, with or without guns. I am not trying to be argumentative, and I understand your point of view.

My thoughts are that guns make it exponentially easier to kill people. If the Colorado guy had gone into the theater with a baseball bat, he could have killed a few people, but soon the others would have overwhelmed him. But military assault rifles make it exponentially easier to mow down dozens of people easily. Can you at least see my point, even if you do not agree?

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

In May 2012, the FBI already warned about threats in theaters. Were they predicting about things to come? Just like Columbine occured just a few weeks before there was major anti gun legislation, this incident also ironically occurs just before major anti gun legislation. Obama will sign a United Nations law that will ban guns in the US, although this UN law will totally go against the US constitituion. Also ironic that this occurs near the one year anniversary of the mass killing in Norway. Connect the dots.

flatus (16 posts) • 0

Well said Tom. There is a difference between arming for hunting and self defense and arming for homicide. And as far as equating ladder falls and car accidents with armed homicide... pretty weak argument unless people start going around murdering others with ladders. If that starts happening, then yes, it might be worth looking at a ban on fully automatic ladders with magazines that can hold 100 rounds...

TICexpats (207 posts) • 0

There's a big difference between accidently falling off a step ladder and being gunned down while your watching a movie.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

@flatus

There an estimated 200,000,000 to 300,000,000 guns in the hands of US citizens. That does not include police or military.

Homicide deaths are between 10,000 and 15,000 annually. About 40,000+ people die in car accidents annually.

What is your concern? Safety? Or do you object to a long American tradition, one that predates 1776? Is it you want the government to nanny everyone so you can feel warm and fuzzy? Do you seriously believe a lump of machined steel is cause of violence. If a man foregoes using his pistol and instead uses a baseball bat to murder his wife, would you be happy?

While you see a difference between how and what a gun is used for determining if that gun should be legal, I posit the person holding the gun is the main factor as to it's use. Using a gun is a choice. I feel anyone using a firearm in the commission of a crime should severely punished according to the relevant laws.

The Obama administration, for all it's anti-gun posturing. in a fast and furious effort, provided assault weapons to know criminals. KNOWN CRIMINALS! These known criminals subsequently used these weapons to murder people. Are these the type of official people you expect to "control" guns, or anything else?

Obama is intent on "transforming America." While I once supported him, I now have grave concerns about what a guy that thinks democracy is "messy," the opposition party is an obstacle, and the Supreme Court problematic, means by "transforming."

flatus (16 posts) • 0

1. Equating homicides with accidents is foolish.
2. If you are a gun fan, you should love Obama. He's done nothing but let you guys have your way.

3. There will always be murder. But equipping people for mass murder is foolish.

4. Really? Using tradition for your argument? So you are a fan of slavery too?
5. Do you think China is depraved for its lack of guns? Would it be a safer and happier country if everyone was strapped?

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

I'm a gun nut. That being said - a focused, driven individual can accomplish whatever they set their mind to. A single man in China managed to almost assassinate an emperor of China within his own palace, surrounded by his own ministers and guards.

Banning guns from the 99.999% responsible gun owners (except for my cousin - he's just irresponsibly dangerous) is like slapping every kid in the USA for the actions of a single bully...or strip searching every airline passenger because of a few terrorist nuts....um...er well...

I guarantee you - if people in Colorado were even lightly armed - that moron would not have chosen Colorado to go nuts as he wouldn't have made it past murdering a few victims.

As the saying goes, "when you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns". That's the reason the homicide and crime rate in our unspeakably shameful capital used to be the highest in the nation...only violent criminals and thugs could possess guns leaving the innocent defenseless or worse - breaking the law to illegally own guns in DC. That's why the police have a homicide department - to come clean up our sorry carcass because we couldn't defend ourselves. I'd rather call 911 to report the death of a violent criminal than my own.

The Second Amendment (the right to bear arms) has absolutely NOTHING to do with hunting, plinking, and target shooting (or 4th July celebrations). It was designed to prevent any government (including our own) from ever again curtailing our liberties...without a fight...which is why our government armed the IRS - but that's a different rant.

And I've NEVER been ashamed to be American - just ashamed of what our leaders sometimes do. I'm proud to be American (and Chinese) because the country has done many great things and will continue to (hopefully) forever. I strongly disagree with a lot of manure our politicians pull - including some of our worst historical faux pas - such as training Al Qaida (afghanistan), sustaining the oppressive, torturing, kidnapping, and murdering former government of Iran (don't you people ever wonder WHY they hate the USA so much?). And the recent announcements that our government sent over USD 51 BILLION in tax money to aid Iraq - with a SINGLE government employee responsible for vetting and approving the disbursements - this guy had more power than the CEO of Goldman Sachs, Citibank, etc combined. USD 51 BILLION in un-audited, un-monitored, and un-supervised funds sent to a country rife with known corruption...yawn.

In case you're interested - the US Government recently allocated an additional USD 700 MILLION plus to beef up the collections department for the IRS (they have guns now).

Yet...our state department continues to raise fees (why are we paying fees?) for US Citizen embassy and consulate services - claiming budget cuts and constraints - I find those lazy tiresome manure laced arguments not less than USD 51 BILLION impossible to swallow. How about providing some jobs at home, topping off our social security tank, helping out our independent farmers - you know - the ones living in poverty in the richest nation in the world...stuff like that...

Gun rants...goupi...(including mine)...

lihaizi (17 posts) • 0

Flatus: I fully agree, but you should know that logic / sensible arguments vs blind (nearly religious) fanaticism is pointless.

Legally selling tools that are merely designed to kill can't really be justified. Period.

"When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns." Most of the 'outlaws' having guns when there's no legal place to buy them will be part of organized crime. No individual with a shotgun will be able to fight off those groups anyway. It will also be easier to identify criminals with guns, as people with guns are violating the law without exception.

Americans feeling they have to arm themselves against the government – just in case – might want to reconsider their voting patterns or move to a country where they will feel safer.

In many countries guns are a rarity as there are no legal means to acquire them. The chance that some crazy guy will start shooting around then becomes diminishable. Banning guns in only a few states in a country where one can travel freely is pointless of course. One can just buy it in one state and carry it to the next for private use or to illegally sell them to others. If it has to be imported from other countries at least it will be harder to smuggle into the country.

For those who believe they should be allowed to have guns because it's their 'right' (whatever that means) I have no words. Should I be allowed to have nuclear warheads because I think they nicely decorate my garden? I know that's not what they're made for, but I hope you guys don't carry guns for the purpose of shooting at people either.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

1. Sorry I was mistaken. Silly me. I thought there was a concern for safety and death. Glad we cleared that up. Just better to have no guns at all, safe or not.

2. Screwy anti-gun nuts seem to take all gun restrictions as the norm and any remaining gun freedoms as a threat to, well, not safety and not deaths.... What do you guys want?

3. Who is equipping who for mass murder? Not me, I won't buy you any sort of weapon, unless you grow up understand responsibility. Are you trying to say because I advocate maintaining a freedom I am foolish?

4. Yes, I respect tradition, American traditions and those of other cultures. Equating tradition with slavery is illogical. Only one attempting to create anti-American propaganda could yank that out of his flatus generator. Where I come from the tradition is proudly anti-slavery. The region of my youth is often referred to as Gun Valley.

5. In no way do I think China is depraved. With an active military of 2,250,000, plus a paramilitary force of 1,500,000 china has a few guns. Is everyone in the US "strapped?"

Your imagination is amusing. Construct off the wall hypothetical, unreal, scenarios and use them to push for taking away freedoms. Do you read Lakoff?

Related forum threads

Login to post

This thread is locked.