GoKunming Forums

I want to learn kung fu or wing chun

Ciscoh (2 posts) • 0

Hello i am a portuguese 20 year old person currently trying to go kunming, I have had this passion of china and Martial arts the culture, everything that it represents.

Does anyone know a Master or a school in Kunming that teaches Wing Chun or Kung Fu? Ill do anything to learn it.

Life is too short too wonder to do or not to do, i prefer doing and i wont rest untill i achieve my goals.

If anuone can help me. Please let me know

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Why would you come to Kunming of all places in China to pursue a passion for Kung fu?

Try a google search of Kunming + kung fu
vs
Wudang + kung fu

There are many better places in China to learn kung fu. Try the Wudang Mountains in Hubei.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I agree. Kunming is not famous for it's martial arts.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Both the northern and southern shaolin temples teach formal Kungfu to live-in (or live-out) students. Wudang is the same. For WingChun - dunno if he's still alive - but Dan Inosanto teaches wingchun in either LA or SFO, along with filipino escrima (stick aka baton fighting) and of course, some of the best wingchun schools are in HK.

DonMiguelito (1 post) • +1

Hi, my name is Miguel. I study wing chun in kunming. The master is a machine and the classes are tough. I can take you here if you are interested.

this is my cell phone number: 18288637440

Ciscoh (2 posts) • 0

I do understand that perhaps Kunming is not the best place to train Martial Arts, but it is my only choise, i can Only go to Kunming, understand it.

So i must embrace where i will be and from Kunming try to train there.

sendero english (21 posts) • 0

I totally disagree with the idea that one must go to a kung fu tourist area, in order to learn kung fu. In martial arts, there is often the idea of the inner door vs. outer door door student.

Keep in mind that for a teacher in a no-name town, with relatively few students and little fame, there is much more motivation for him/her to actually impart his knowledge completely, carefully, and/or effectively.

He/she will also probably have longer relationships with his students, as they stick around for more than a 3 month or even 1 year course.

If you want to fly through the air and look like a movie star-yes some places are better than others.

But if you would like to improve your self defense abilities or your contemplative skills, virtually every population center in the world has something to offer, if you are willing to search for it. In any case, teaching itself is a skill, probably of greater importance than martial ability. Would you rather learn to box from Mike Tyson or from Cus D'Amato?

Anyway, I digress....As a world class jiu-jitsu phenomenon once remarked in an interview, when it comes to choosing a coach, "sometimes generic is better than name brand".

TICexpats (207 posts) • 0

Kunming is not a wushu centre, the two major types in China are Shaolin (Henan) and Foshan (Guangdong).

Taichi ( Tai Gi) is pretty all over, but you may not be happy with that as it not violent in it's practice.

Related forum threads

Login to post