GoKunming Forums

Justice?

aletourneau (9 posts) • 0

Do Chinese people in general care about justice?? A girl friend of mine got ripped off recently by a laowai in Kunming. Not only financially but also had to go through abortion alone and pay for the hospital bill herself because the guy just disappeared and refused to answer the phone.

When we tried to contact his connections in Kunming, people just gave us cold shoulders like this is none of their business. Is it the way in China that people don't care about justice, even though all they need to do is simply deliver a message?? I'm very disappointed at this kind of attitude when it comes to helping others who have no immediate "guanxi" with them. Or am I just too naive to think there's a way to seek justice in modern China...

Chingis (242 posts) • 0

Do you mean criminal justice, vigilante justice, or something else? It's not clear from your post

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Yes. You're naive. Chinese culture is different from western culture when it comes to justice. After you've been here for a while you will discover it for yourself. Sorry to hear about the unfortunate situation your friend is going through.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Is there a law that states men have to pay for abortions? He may have done something immoral, but not illegal.

crazy.laowai (242 posts) • 0

I have, in my limited time here, noticed that there is no justice.

DAY DREAMER (24 posts) • 0

You are confused and your post is confusing. Stop blame China for every problem you have. This man is laowai? So I assume most of his connections you have talked to are laowai too? The way they responsed has got nothing to do with Chinese sense of justice! On top of that, what are you expecting from them? This situation is too messy, a heartbroken woman, money, abortion. How can people make a clear judgement based on one,side of story? I suggest you go to police. Its too early to comment on chinese justice wirhout testing it. I think police would be happy to help you on rhis matter - China is planning a clean-up on its foreign population kicking out the bad foreigners

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

The cold hard fact is that a Chinese woman is on her own if she gets pregnant. I m pretty sure there was a thread here that made that, unfortunately, very clear. Abortions are cheap, easy, and routine in China.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

I'm no legal expert, but I would love to know which countries legally require a man to pay for an abortion.

aletourneau (9 posts) • 0

Thanks for all the input! No, the connections are "Chinese", not laowai! He's currently a student at KCEL and used to be a fake au-pair at HomeStay (fake means using HOMESTAY to come to China and got paid for everything but didn't wanna work hard therefore got "fired" by 2 host families) so the administrative staff are all Chinese and they didn't want to help us by delivering simply a message to the French guy. They're our ONLY hope to contact him since this guy did something to his cell phone that sounds always like "line is busy". Well, doesn't matter how much the bill costs, this guy didn't even show up to accompany the girl to have the abortion. Just mainly let her deal with everything on her own from day 1. However, I agree that you can call it an "immoral" act, not an "illegal" one.

Do you think calling the police will help? Do they care if somebody dump a girl, took her loan as "gifts", didn't wanna pay for abortion and then disappeared? I mean, is that a legitimate "crime" to report to the police? The recent crackdown on "foreigners" are nationwide or just in Beijing? Have we seen any "actions "here in Kunming in the foreigner's community?

Of course if this guy can just come forward, or at least, answer the phone to talk things out then we won't be desperate to find the so-called "justice"!

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I think that this just needs to be ' a lesson learned' in life. It will be a 'he said, she said' and it will go no where.

Related forum threads

Login to post