GoKunming Forums

Dining alone in China/Kunming

crazy.laowai (242 posts) • 0

I never had a problem dining alone at home, but in China, it seems much more communal, i.e. people go out to eat in groups. I love that concept, but sometimes I want to go out, and my friends or busy, or I just want some time to relax alone and think about life. But I usually feel uncomfortable, like people are looking at me or judging me. I feel like I am the outcast because I am dining alone. Does anyone else ever feel this way? Any suggestions?

AlPage lol true. I was thinking more traditional restaurants. The only one I have found yet where I feel comfortable dining alone is the Burmese restaurant in Guandu Old Town.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

Yeah people are weird here, but you will find lots of lone diners in the following types of restaurants (which, given we're in Kunming means that up to 99% of the patrons are locals):

Fast food restaurants (KFC, McDonalds, Dicos etc.) @AlPage48, KFC is definately not the place to go for communal dining.

Western style cafes/restaurants (think Salvador's, French Cafe, The Box, A Slice of Heaven, Prague Cafe etc.) Both locals and foreigners can be seen dining/drinking coffee/using the internet etc. alone. In fact, as I write this response, I am in a cafe with only one other patron sitting inside and not only is she alone, but she is CHINESE! Yes, she is a local and she's not eating with anyone! Perhaps we should call upon some other locals to look at her for being "weird".

Noodle shops such as mixian shops where you go for a quick 5Yuan cup of noodles, complete with a hair or eyebrow or two. Or better than this, Brothers Jiang, where for a bit more (about 13-18Y) you can get a much better noodle soup.

The main reason that some Chinese will think eating out alone is weird, has to do with Chinese food being designed to be eaten "family style" with many dishes ordered. This is impractical and becomes expensive for an individual diner.

Finally, I find your first sentence "I never had a problem dining alone at home" funny. I wonder what kind of person would need to have people eating with them all the time, even at home. Even if I wanted to, I'd struggle to find someone to eat with me on a daily basis for every meal - even Chinese people can be busy too. This is perfectly acceptable and I think you shouldn't worry about people "judging" you.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

are 'traditional restaurants' the same as 'traditional girls' in that they are normal restaurants that hide behind a façad of culture and refinement while secretly being just the same as any other? Back to the topic, can't you (learn to) cook? instant noodles?? Crazy.

Debaser: I happen to be a professionally-trained French chef, and my former career was working in some of the world's top restaurants. Yes, I know how to cook. I also enjoy dining out. It is one of the great pleasure of life, in my opinion. Also, please stop breaking the forum rules by making posts that are personally insulting to me. Thanks.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

whoa! touchy...

@Crazy.Laowai - as you might remember, I have replied to your posts in the past with information that I believed would be both helpful and useful. I am insulted that you accuse ME of breaking forum rules. there was nothing personally insulting in my post (or at least there was nothing that was intended to be). As a relative newbie you should be ESPECIALLY aware of making such baseless accusations. As for your training and qualifications, I couldn't care less... don't take it personally. I wish you all the best in your future dining experiences.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

A Typical week of dining in the life of crazy.laowai:

monday: takes his traditional chinese gf to an upscale chinese restaurant. does not invite her back to his place.
tuesday: takes his western girlfriend to KFC. invites her back to his place
wednesday: needs a break from women. decides to dine alone at a local noodle shop. leaves a tip.
thursday: dines out with the buddies at a hotpot restaurant (watch for an upcoming thread on that one)
friday: decides to put his 5-star restaurant cooking credentials to good use and makes himself an omelet at home.

TICexpats (207 posts) • 0

I wouldn't worry too much about it Crazy, I (due to my work) travel all over the city, often not getting home until it's late, so I often eat alone. I don't care if others look, honestly don't even notice it really.
As for eating alone at home I can say the same, it doesn't happen often (married), on the odd occasions it does happen, never a big issue to rustle up something for myself.

As a ***** star French chef I can't see any reason that you are at home eating alone very often. you can cook for me when I'm in your neighbourhood.
PS I'm not gay but I am a shameless freeloader for good free food.

debaser: I sincerely apologise that I misunderstood your post. I was wrong.

Related forum threads

Login to post