GoKunming Forums

Metro Membership

atwillden (109 posts) • 0

Hello all,

I've read through the forums over the last few months, and it seems one of the better places to buy imported goods is Metro. How exactly does one get a membership card to shop there? Is it possible to get an individual membership or do you actually need to be associated with a hotel/restaurant or similar? A few posters have mentioned that generally foreigners can use their passport to get a membership—is this still the case?

Thanks!

debaser (647 posts) • 0

try these:
1. just walk in and shop. at the checkout say that you have no card. (works most of the time)

2. if you work at a school or other business you can get a card by showing a copy of their business license. i've heard that students can try this by going through their school also but i'm not sure.

good luck!

somewhere (29 posts) • 0

rules are changed, now you have to say you don't have the card when you walk in, they will write a number on a piece of paper, then showing this paper to pay.

matty (14 posts) • 0

There is usually an english speaking manager who will help you fill out a form to get a card. It was really easy.

OR
When I forget my card, usually someone else in line will let the checker scan their card for me :) I have never had any one refuse me!

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

At the Kunming Metro, you can't get a membership with a passport only. However, you can easily buy stuff with a printout the front entrance counter will hand you, no passport required. Then show the printout at the checkout counter.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

Most people I know have no problem playing dumb, and just using a card from someone else in line. The rest just get an extra card from a business. So if you want a card, make some friends with people in the store before you check out :P

NingSi (61 posts) • 0

was thinking of going to the Metro this week for the first time. has anyone who has been there recently encountered any problems shopping without the membership card? don't want to make the trek only to be turned away...
thanks.

Related forum threads

Login to post