GoKunming Forums

Yunnan University

Jeff0923 (7 posts) • 0

I'm an American currently studying in a Masters program at Yunnan University. If you send me your e-mail, I can give you names of people I deal with at the University and the foreign students' office as well as help out with any questions you may have. The process can be a bit difficult/frustrating.

Ai bin (7 posts) • 0

Well, the problem is, I have a chance to earn some money before I come to china, but the job would last till the 26th... so the earliest I can arrive in Kunming would be the 28th/29th...

Now I'm not sure if it's be too late if I miss the week of registration...

@jeff: albina.iljasov@web.de it would be great if you could help me out!

Ai bin (7 posts) • 0

Well, the problem is, I have a chance to earn some money before I come to china, but the job would last till the 26th... so the earliest I can arrive in Kunming would be the 28th/29th...

Ai bin (7 posts) • 0

tom_a_te (6 posts) • 0

hi! i'll also study at yunnan university starting from september!

do we have to arrive in the week of the 25th to register? can't it be done if we arrive later?

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@ai Bin & @ tom_a_te
Y'all should ask the university these questions directly, so they can schedule late registration for you - not to mention the fact you'll probably be missing a few classes. SOME of the undergrad courses start the last week of August...FYI. @Jeff0923 above mentioned he can give you all the contact names & numbers so suggest you PM or contact him directly.

jodavfo (7 posts) • 0

Hi froggy, I'm doing a bachelor in chinese language/literature at Yunnan Univ. as well, I would say the atmosphere is ok, you might meet a lot of south-east Asian students (which are pretty fun), Excellent teachers, the organization is not too good, so you have to be carefull with the enroll day, i would suggest to go and look for 马老师, she's in charge of the bachelors in the foreign school. The courses some of them are pretty interesting, get ready to study hard, nothing compare to a normal language course, is pretty intense, since is a bachelor you'll have a lot of homework to deal with, but ur chinese will get better really fast. All courses are in chinese, some of the teachers speak poor english and your classmates will use more chinese to communicate, i think this is a good way to get involve in the language and start using it from the begining. I don't know if you're coming with a scholarship or u r planning to pay by yourself cuz if you're planning to do the 2nd thing you have to give 马老师 or the people in the office some papers, like your HSK, certificate from school, etc. Last year we had to take an exam (not HSK) in order to do the bachelor i think that is to check your chinese level, i didn't understand why since u have to show your HSK, in any case it would be better if you try to contact them now, not really sure if they're working or not, if not try to go by mid August, the classes for the bachelor students start in Sep 3rd, if you need more info this is my email big_oasis15@hotmail.com feel free to contact me i can also give you the number of the teacher (马老师)
cheers

jodavfo (7 posts) • 0

I forgot! doorms not so good, no very clean, it closes at 12am, you'll probably live with 3 other guys, is cheap of course, u can make a lot of friends, it will help your chinese but if you're looking for some privacy or independence maybe renting an apt is a better option.

The dawn (11 posts) • 0

They upgrade the condition of the dorm nowadays Dorm and reconstruction, it might be better.You don't really need to stay with roommates as long as you can pay for the room alone .It costs 900 per month, but public use WC and shower room . No washing machines you have to use the hand wash. As they mentioned door are from 06 am to 12 midnight. You can't cook in the dorm or use some machines which require heavy electricity.

Related forum threads

Login to post