GoKunming Forums

Visa renewal.

Dunkeld (5 posts) • 0

I'm from the UK and have been living in China over 4 years and always had schools/uni get my Z visa/FEC etc. Struggling now to get state work because I think I'm seen as past sell by date My visa expires at the end of Jan. I'm toying with going to Yunnan/Kunming to live and travel, and to continue pursuing my passion in photography.... semi retiring so to speak to travel around.

Any advice please on visa renewal? I'm reading here that travel to the Laos border is a good option, but not sure if I can get a China visa renewal there on re-entering or what they could or would offer. Do you actually fill in visa renewal forms on re-entering? Is there much hassle??

I would be anticipating doing this around 17th of Jan, will there be hassle in travel at that time. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

hedgepig (273 posts) • 0

you're having a laff, right? FECs went out with the ark. there's no China visa-on-arrival. you've got a bit of work to do to get your plan together. unfortunately, i'm sure you can find visa-ed teaching work in Kunming. maybe not around chunjie, mind.

Dunkeld (5 posts) • 0

So, how do people get visa renewal in Kunming? And why are guys exiting China and coming back in on the Laos border?? Like I said, everywhere I worked, the schools arranged this. I'm in Fujian, and new visas, L or F are obtained by leaving the country, usually HK before applying there for a new one which then allows re-entry into China.

lucakun (5 posts) • 0

Hi Dunkeld, you said have you been living in China for the past 4 years, I just wonder where and how have you been living if you don't have any idea about this.

If you don't have working visa anymore, you can get a student visa (go to any chinese school pay and get 6 or 12 months) or tourist visa (go outside of China, find a chinese consulate or embassy, fill in the form, leave 30$ and get 1 or 3 moths visa).

Good luck

Dunkeld (5 posts) • 0

Hi Lucacun. Since coming to China ( Fujian )the uni or schools always handled my visas. I simply got my health check, handed over my passport and docs then had my passport returned with a new Z visa a month later. I was never without work and had either a current visa or a new one being processed.

Usually, guys from here go to HK for L visas. I'm looking for an alternative before my Z expires in 2 weeks. Since I will be in Kunming in a few days I was wondering what might be possible there.

TY anyway.

blueice (73 posts) • 0

A lot of people go to the Laos border because they have multiple entry visas which limit them on the amount of time they can stay each entry (this varies from 30-90 days usually), due to the cheaper overall travel price, many people choose to do the Laos run for this reason.

However, it sounds like you need a new visa overall which probably won't work as well.

I'm not sure on the logistics as I've never been to Laos, but I would suggest either 1) do an HK run and get an L visa which is safer since Chunjie is just around the corner, or 2) contact a KM language school ASAP (as many schools had their last class on Friday, Jan 13th) and pay money & beg for them to apply for a student visa right away so that you can stay. Schools are especially shutting down now for the holidays so if you need anything you should act fast!

Dunkeld (5 posts) • 0

Thanks for that info Ludwig. My current Z visa expires on the 30th and I I was thinking of trying to get a 30 day L visa extension in Kunming within the next few days. Back to the drawing board I guess.

newbe (1 post) • 0

Hi anyone know what is the cheapest way to get a student visa from one of the schools if one does not actually want to study, just need the visa? Many Thanks

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

@newbe This is an old thread, but if it's still relevant to you, this is how: you generally have to pay for the classes even if you don't show up. It's a little expensive since you're looking at around 4,000+ Yuan and another 400 on top of that for the visa costs just to stay half a year or around 6,000-8,000 for one year + 400 for the visa (student visa i.e. residence permit valid for studying is always 400 no matter if you extend it for 6 months or a year).

Related forum threads

Login to post