GoKunming Forums

Sewer oil collecting sighting in Kunming!

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

can you post the photos? I might run a story on this and photos would be helpful. Of course, if published, the high-res photos will be bought.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Since the post of Yuantongsi I've been enlightened by the fact there is a recycle market for oil in China.

Recycled oil for combustion seems quite logical but it still doesn't answer the most pressing question;
How much of this recycled oil is being sold as consumption/cooking oil?
Could it be possible gutter oil finds it's way into fake bottles at markets or super markets?

Hi Bluppfisk.

I have to sympathise with your disbelief in these events, I first heard of gutter oil along with fake eggs about a year ago from a friend's word of mouth, I too was sceptical but believed it could be possible anywhere money is worshipped as #1.

Secondly I read the G.K. article and it reinforced this belief, I know the staff personally and they do have high ethics and integrity, they wouldn't print rubbish.

Then I witnessed the Nov 29th the event of gutter oil skimming I posted here.

If you really want to see the picture I can arrange my friend, a KM TV station executive to show you the photos. It shows the back of the micro van with plastic barrels, the licence plate and the individual's back.

I jokingly asked in laowai flat tone putongwa "how much per kilo"? My wife and companions were hushing me... oooooo I replied, "I'm sorry I'm so open with my comments". Do you think I offended the oil skimmers?
Photos were shot at aprox 3 meters distance.

If you want to make a stake out at the sewer holes for your own photos I can point out in one particular and and others in a general direction, I'm sure the white microvan #0007j and it's gutter oil collectors makes a

regular skimming at 11 ish pm every Monday.

Our host for the evening dinner was somewhat embarrassed to invite guests out in civilized Kunming which ended in witnessing gutter oil collecting accompanied with the stench of raw sewage, he felt compelled to call in the information to the police which probably disturbed their ma jia game.

Integrity is everything.

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

Can I just clear something up..

Restaurants selling their used oil to these recycled oil rackets is not the same thing as restaurants buying said used oil.

Right?

Every restaurant produces used oil. If there's a market for that used oil there shouldn't be anything strange about them selling that used oil.

The concern that most people have should on the receiving, not donating, end. That is, the restaurants that purchase the used oil.

But witnessing the collection of used oil is not proof that that same restaurant will later reuse it.

At least this is how the logic appears to me.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....

Hi Geogramatt

I agree with your points, thanks.

The receiving end is in question.

Recycled oil for industrial use or combustion use seems quite logical but it still doesn't answer the most pressing question;
How much of this recycled oil is being sold as consumption/cooking oil?

I presume prominent restaurants don't buy recycled cooking oils, although cooking stalls at the bus stations, shady food manufacturing and truck stop restaurants are questionable.

One should be asking questions when you have society that turns a blind eye to fake boose.

How much effort has been given to control food quality after the fake baby milk? and the confiscated fake baby milk that reapers on the market?

matjaz (12 posts) • 0

mike4g_air, can you please tell where in the north have you seen them? or if maybe anyone else saw them?

sanyiseul (104 posts) • 0

As an example, you can see that almost every night on the Beichen Garden Walkway. Close to the street on both sides of the street.

Disgusting!

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

This is kind of an old string - but @geogramatt & @mike4g_air - this isn't about restaurants selling their oil for recycling - that's a normal practice. This string is about those guys (who should be executed along with their bosses and the restaurants who buy this crap) - who ladle oil out of the sewers for recycling into restaurant oil.

Related forum threads

Login to post