GoKunming Forums

General Visa advice

uraniumwilly (9 posts) • 0

I am on a z-visa right now but have come to find out that can be tenuous at times. Some teachers I know did not have contract renewed for them. They got other jobs and there was no problem for them the release letters but it was clear they had concerns.

If a person ends a work term here on a z-visa but something happens (or if that person loses their position) what visas do people get?

I am married to a Chinese lady and of course would want to stay here with her. Many people seem to be living here on something other than z-visas fro long periods. I now there are F visas and L visas. L visas restrict work I understand to maybe part time.

If I suddenly had to get a visa to just stay in China until a situation is sorted out what would I do and where would I go? Where do people here go to get visas and find out information?

Thanks

Dan

EnglishTeacher (101 posts) • 0

This has been discussed many times. Recently I believe. Just do a search. If your wife is a Chinese national and is a Kunminger then a 1 year visa multi-entry is what you can get. Of course, it doesn't entitle you to work. If you have been married for at least 5 years. You can get a resident visa. I don't know the details and anyone, feel free to correct my information since I'm not totally sure.
www.gokunming.com/[...]

AuroraCultural (17 posts) • 0

Hi Dan,

I understand your situation is rather unique and this can be frustrating and confusing.

Aurora Culture Bridge gives free visa consulting this month. Please feel free to call us, we will try our best to discuss and resolve the situation with you.

Tel.:86-871-5420236
Mob.: 86- 18064855941

www.kmacb.com

bucko (695 posts) • 0

I live here and have a residents visa. I just renew it once a year, no hassles. This year I will get a 2 year resident visa, and I believe they will instead let me have the 5 year residents visa, but no sure yet.
Also, I'm going to apply for a green card in Beijing this year. That one is a crapshoot, but I'll try just the same.

Good Luck

AntoNomad (16 posts) • 0

I have F visa (6 months) and I've done it in Beijing. Here are the phone numbers you can call 010 6403 4923 or 15010532542. Good luck.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

The situation is not unique. I have been in China for several years, here with a Chinese wife. I arrived in Kunming from my old city on an 'L' visa, it was December and I had not been working due to the academic year starting in Oct. I have just changed to a 'Z'. I have also had 'F' visas.

The 'Z' visa is often used as leverage by Chinese employers. But you don't have to play their silly games.

If you work for a state school they are less likely to do this as they know it is hard to recruit teachers they like (better the devil you know).
If you work for an English training centre, some will fiddle with the pennies, but if they kids like you they are reluctant to let you go, but they will still try to leverage.

If you do decide to leave, as long as you find a new job and get a new contract and 'Z' visa before the old one expires, no problem. This can be renewed in Kunming.
If you can't find a new job in time then transferring to an 'L' family is easy, but the pain in the butt is that you will have to go to Hong Kong if you get a new 'Z' visa.

In short 'Z' to 'Z' visa is easy and can be done locally. 'Z' to 'L' is easy and can be done locally. But 'other' to 'Z' requires a trip to HK (or other country outside mainland PRC.

You don't need to mess around with an 'F' visa which is what most agents will offer, and which is technically illegal to use for employment.

no way (104 posts) • 0

@tiggertigger: not questioning your experience, but, um, gee,

i'm like questioning your terminology. get a new "z?" Z-2-Z is
easily done locally? are you talking about extending or renewing
or gittin' a new residence permit?

i was here for several years (in different cities) on an X visa. the
X, like the Z, is only valid to enter china. once i got my first RP,
the visa was stamped cancelled. every year (or portion thereof
that i paid tuition for) the school would get me a new RP stuck into
my passport. never needed a new X.

now i'm here workin' and soon will start a new contract with a new
skool. my Z visa was cancelled when i got my first RP. (note that
the RP gots a notation as to the purpose of stay) the new school,
in another province, will get me a new local RP. i don't need no
new Z visa.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Ok you are right on the terminology side. Mae culpa, sloppy writing.

I have never had a problem going from RP for employment to RP for employment.
But from other RP (e.g. spousal/non permanent) or non 'Z', to RP for employment requires a 'Z' (which is then changed for an RP for Employment). This needs a visa run outside mainland PRC.

Related forum threads

Login to post