GoKunming Forums

HK/CM Visa run, how long?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I will have to do a Hongkong visa run.

How long does it take to process a visa in HK?

Can you do it same day?

Or am I just as well going to Chang Mai?

yeong (8 posts) • 0

i did it last year through travel agency in the city centre, HK.
Surely, you can get it same day.

applied at 09:00- optained at 15:00

applied at 12:00 -optained at 18:00

it costed me $450 (HK) ( :

aiyaryarr (122 posts) • 0

A China visa cost varies according to your nationality. I was told it's most expensive for USA passport holders. I believe the longest China visa for the typical American is a "6-month multiple-entry, max. stay of 90days/entry". All you need is your passport with at least 6 more months before the expiration date and either 1 or 2 photos 1"W by 1-1/2"H (Not sure of the number of photos and size). The travel agency applying on your behalf will do all of the paperwork. I believe all of the aforementioned remained unchanged to date.

I last applied for a China visa about 4 years ago in HK. I believe at that time it cost about HK$900 to HK$1,100 for the visa, depending on which travel agency is handling it (The most expensive was China Travel Service). If you leave your passport & photo(s) at the travel agency by 12 noon on Monday, you will have it back with the visa in the afternoon on Tuesday. Otherwise, you will have it back on Wednesday.

Since then, I have been getting my China visa in New York City during my semi-annual home visits via a travel agency in Chinatown. The advantage is a "1-year multiple-entry, max. stay of 90 days or if I am lucky 120 days/entry" for US$160. The 1-year visa cost a bit more than the 6-month visa in HK and saves me the trouble of a renewal every 6 months.

There are many travel agencies in HK that advertise the China visa service in The South China Morning Post's Sunday Classified section. Shop by calling a few for a quote over the phone and ask for the current requirements. You can also go personally to the China government office in HK that handles visa issuance to save a little bit of money but in return for much "agita".

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Aiyaryarr

I will be applying for a Z visa.

Am I correct in thinking that travel agent in KMG can do this, or is this a travel agent in HK?

Do I still have to physically leave China?

Sorry for asking dumb questions.

tigertiger,

I apologize for not being clear in my first paragraph of my post above. Everything I wrote pertains to American citizens getting a China visa in HK & New York City - NOT in Kunming or in China. In HK in the past, I have gotten both "F" & "L" visas via different travel agencies, without my request for either and without having to furnish a business contact in China (for the "F" visa). Sorry I do not have info on the "Z" visa.

A few years back, it is possible for an American to get a visa upon arrival at the airport but that's no longer possible. Visa rules have become increasingly more stringent & more expensive year by year in the past decade, at least for Americans. It is my understanding China or Kunming travel agencies CANNOT help a foreigner get a visa, though I have seen posts here at this forum & GoKunmimg Classified offering visa extension & driver license services for foreigners. I do not know if they are legitimate.

tigertiger,

I just typed "visa extension" in the search box at the upper left corner of the GoKunming home page and was directed to lots of threads on the subject of visas. It may help answer some of your questions & concerns.

Good luck!

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

Hi Tigertiger,

If you have a Chinese wife then you can get your visa with your wedding certificate in Kunming at the PSB with little trouble.

You can extend L visas in China, but there is a limit to what can be done and how many times. Maybe an agent in China can find a way for this to be done more flexibly than the PSB Visa office.

You can only get a new "Z" visa (now its called in your passport a "Residence Permit") in China if you have one already and its still valid and have a new company to sponser your visa application and (first step)for a work permit or foreign expert Certificate.

If you are on a F then I have been told it can also be changed to a residence permit once you have a job and get your work permit.

no way (104 posts) • 0

tigertiger: we need more info. what visa do you have now?
are you starting a first job, or are you moving to a new job?

you can get your z-visa pretty much anywhere, but your invitation
letter must state in which country you will be applying. if not
specified, you must apply in your home country.

i got my z-visa recently in chiang mai. no problems at all, but

made sure the letter said i would apply in thailand.

yuantongsi: a z-visa and a residence permit are not the same.
the z-visa allows you to enter china for the purpose of work.
once you enter, you have 30 days to apply for a residence permit.
(some people say 'convert' but this is misleading). your z-visa
will be canceled, and a residence permit will be glued into your
passport. the RP allows you to stay in the country for a specified
time period, and also allows exit/re-entry.

the visa with wedding certificate i believe is a tourist visa. i've

read that yunnan now allows you to get up to a 2-year extension
in this case, but cannot confirm it. anyway, it's just a tourist
visa, and you won't be permitted to work (legally).

when you change jobs, you don't get a 'new' z-visa, unless your
RP expires. your new employer, if authorized to hire foreigners,

can apply to have your 'stuff' transferred over to them, and they
will take care of getting you a new residence permit. no need

for a new z-visa in this case, so no need to leave the country.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

Hi No way,,thanks for the clarification, in the past the long term visa you had in your passport was also a Z, I noticed that this was now termed a RP, but didn't realise that Z's still existed as I have been changing RP to RP as the companies change,,,.

sueza (7 posts) • 0

i obtained my z visa in november 2010 in hongkong. and yes you have to physically leave the country.

you dont really need an agency, just go there by yourself and do the express. It's cheaper that way. Dont forget to make copies of all your papers and bring enough pictures along.
I went there in the afternoon and could pick it up the next day in the afternoon. I think there is a same day pick up when you go there in the morning.
My employee wrote on my papers that they want me to apply for the visa in HK, because there were certain cases of people getting rejected and asked to apply in their homecountries.

But i dont really think that this was so necessary, they didnt look at the papers very closely i guess.
Wish you good luck!

Related forum threads

Login to post