Tenwest Mandarin School

Forums

Seedy land deal in Tengchong

Danmairen (510 posts) • 0

My girlfriend's father in Tengchong got his land expropriated and his farm torn down for some ridiculous low sum last year. As far as I know he's still only received a quarter of the money. Not in the area mentioned in the article though, but there's definitely something shady deals going on out there. Also, last time we went my girlfriend was surprised to see that almost every single attraction, hot spring, the dorment volcanoes, Old Heshun village and the waterfall had been set up as designated tourist spots charging a hefty entrance fee, even for the locals. Change is not always for the better.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

I'm wondering why they're BUYING OUT the residents instead of setting up trust funds for them and putting them into limited stock partnerships along with relocation benefits. The BUYOUT is a win-lose deal for the original land-owners whereas a limited partnership put into a responsible trust would give the residents some long-term benefits in addition to helping them to either move to a new rural community or create their own - China has a LOT of arable land - the options then become rather infinite - as long as it doesn't promote welfare and laziness - a potentially win-win solution.

The current system is merely a system of banditry - an abusive greedy cheat against people unable to protect themselves from land expropriation. Granted greedy cheating residents can also foment trouble as they agitate for windfall profits etc - but there are effective somewhat fair legal business mechanisms already in place to mitigate such behavior.

timkunming (87 posts) • 0

Where does China have a lot of arable land? Last I checked, it was hovering at somewhere around 12%, and the quality of that land is questionable at best.

There are very few legal mechanisms in place to help these people, and that's why it's allowed to happen so openly and without any real punishment to those in charge at the local level. What neutral party exists to solve these sort of problems? None, at least none that I know of. If there are, please enlighten me.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

tim
ARABLE LAND
Mountainous areas around Yunnan and Fujian as examples. They're arable but remote with difficult access. Basic utilities such as roads, water and power are also problematic - but arable nevertheless. They'd potentially make fantastic retirement and employment opportunities for those seeking to flee city life - example - hiring your neighbors to help cultivate and harvest your property - a hybrid of the sharecropper concept.

NEUTRAL 3RD PARTY
Assuming some enterprising and reasonably ethical investor actually setup a limited partnership with the farmers instead of seizing their land - the collective arrangement would be somewhat protected under normal legal partnership trusts and investment policies, stock ownership, etc. It depends on HOW the partnership is created and the control mechanisms implemented to ensure fairness and representation, along with corporate responsibility.

However, noting that most land speculators and squatters are major government entities (note the recent blacklist by the Bureau of Land Management) - the prospect of creating a fair and equitable collective partnership with indigent landowners is just a dream for a multitude of reasons - but it could be a vast improvement over the current land grab activities, no?

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

Yeah sounds shady...

I agree with laotou....

In Canada expropriation of lands for parks has been a black eye in a democratic country. Expropriation resulted in vengance over 30 years from the locals, burning facilities, vandalism and being rude to tourists..

Much better to leave the people in the parks and control some of their activities...besides the people themselves are an atraction..

Login to post Register to post