GoKunming Forums

New to Kunming

Oyun Dege (6 posts) • 0

I will be moving to Kunming hopefully around Feb 17 of 2008. I will be teaching at the University of Finance and Economics. Since this is an ex-pat site I was wondering: how is the experience of teaching in China. From what I have heard it can be extremely challenging and frustrating. What are your thoughts?
Also, as a young person myself, how is the nigh life in Kunming? Is there much to do, if so what is there to do.
What would you suggest for me as an individual that has never been to China before. However, I have took two years of Chinese at University.
Lastly, what would suggest to bring to China, such as things that are not as readily avivabe in China. And what are the most hard cultural aspects of Chinese culture, or in particular in kunming to acclimate to?

Ahmet (98 posts) • 0

Here's a pre-arrival "Welcome to Kunming!" I am going to leave the answers to quesiton about teaching in China to those who have experience doing so. I am an American who has been living in Kunming for the last two years with my Chinese fiancée. During that time I've rented and furnished an apartment; bought, decorated and furnished a new condominium; bought a car and have driven around the Kunming and Yunnan province; and have travled quite a bit around China by air.

First, Kunming does have an active night life as evidenced by the announcements you will see right here on this site. The range of live music available is limited, but the clubs are intimate and it's relatively inexpensive. There are many, many karaoke establishments as well. Arts activities are very limited despite the size of the city and numerous educational institutions.

Second, you should take the opportunity of being China to explore as much of the country as possible. If you can avoid "organized" tours which have a tendency to rush you through "must see" places and spend a great deal of time on trying to get you to buy souvenirs at every opportunity. Instead, I suggest you do some advance reading to see which cities and areas interest you. Then, buy discount airline tickets, stay at 3 star hotels nad explore places on your own. English is not always spoken where you would expect it to be so preparation on your part is a must.

Three, if you have ethnic foods that you cannot live without you should bring some. There are stores like Carre Four (French) and Metro (German) that carry some foreign foods like cheese, condiments, spices, etc., they are limited in scope and expensive. Yunnan province has wonderful cuisine that is based on the year round availability of fresh ingredients and local food is always the best choise for quality and value. "Western" style food in Kunming is horrible: expensive and tasteless. There are some Thai places that offer pretty good food. Korean and Japanese food are available, too. Surprisingly Vietnamese food is scarce. Indian cuisine is a realtive newcomer to Kunming and is mediocre, at best.

Four, other items to bring would be your personal elecronics (laptop computer, a digital camera and all the necessary cords and adapters) your favorite reading materials (English reading materials are scarce and/or expensive). Depending on your clothing and shoe sizes you should be well equipped. Larger sizes (American size XL and shoes sizes larger than 10 are amost impossible to find.) Kunming weather is great, but most building aer not heated so long underwear and good sweater or two are a must.

Kunming culture is defined by two major things (in my opinion). 1) the pace of life is very slow (a very good thing!). It's relaxed and relaxing. The general excellent weather combines with an ethnically diverse population (by Chinese standards) create an atmosphere unique in the hustle and bustle of the rest of China 2)Many of the social "graces" one finds in the West are absent. People are very rude, loud and self-centered. No one qeues for anything. The city is full of litter, spitting and noise. Traffic is a nightmare as no one seems to abide by the laws on the books. As a pedestrian you have to be very careful at all times since traffic lights and crosswalks are all but ignored by almost everyone.

I'm sure that there will be much more from other go kunming members. This is a great site for getting acclimated to the city. Good luck in you travels.

lovemycats (9 posts) • 0

Welcome to KM!!!
I'm very sad what the Ahmet said, because I'm a local kunmingness, and I love my city.
But anyway, they all are objective turth. Everybody knows Chinese are rude, loud and maybe self-centered, and Chinese city are full of litter, spitting and noise. But I think my city is better than many other cities in China.

alfie (5 posts) • 0

Hey, im student at YUFE, if you want somes informations you can contact me: lombardoflorent@hotmail.com

Welcome to kunming!

Ppeng (8 posts) • 0

So far so good. I and my friends are having fun in this city. We are running a restaurant. It seems good foreign ingredients are limited. Bring some feta cheese if you like to make Greek salad. Also, I have to say local baking powder is different. Be aware of the potion of baking powder and the high elevation when you make cakes here.

dulldull (5 posts) • 0

Also new to kunming, i think this's a city that makes you keep extending a plan to stay. Many of my friends have a job here or try (pretend) to learn Chinese, but it seems to me that they never have to work. It's all about relaxation and popular topic is where to eat and drink. The cost of living here is cheap enough to take a big rest with limited saving.

After staying here for a month, I've a growing doubt on Kunmingese income per capita. This is, by statistics, not a wealthy city but the standard of living seems to outpace many cities in China.

It's very common to hear a complaint about kunming. Almost all my friends have their creativity on it. Some observations may be true, some are due to home sick, some are just a personal story, but they've still chosen to stay here. My reason is simple: I like its lifestyle and reasonable cost of taking a big leisure.

zlif23 (159 posts) • 0

well look the things with your heart in good mood, try you best to be happy. then i bet you have be happy and doing well.

Related forum threads

Login to post