GoKunming Forums

visa extention

haining_m (4 posts) • 0

Hi!

I have a L Visa (tourist) for one month which expires in 7 days and I want to renew it for another month. I went to the office in Beijing lu and gave me an application to fill in and that's it. As I am staying in a friend's place they told me that I have to write the adress, but I am not sure if I need a paper from the Landlord of this flat which says that I am staying there.

The police officer at the desk wasn't really nice, so he didn't tell me anything about it and maybe I go there again for nothing if I don't have this paper... Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!

bucko (695 posts) • 0

They do require you put down your address. I don't think you need a letter of any sort. But the police will sometimes verify you live there by stopping by your condo for a visit. I've been here 5 years and only once the police called me. They are supposed to actually check, but they never do.

I wouldn't sweat the landlord letter.

homer (9 posts) • 0

I think you will definitely need a temporary residence permit to get an extension for your visa. If you are staying with a friend then you should have gone to the police station within 24 hours to register your stay, after which they would have given you the residence permit.

If you don't have this permit, it might be a good idea to pay for one night in a cheap hotel, and show your hotel receipt to the visa officer (and not mention your friend anymore).

If you do have a temporary residence permit, they may need to see your friend's rental contract as well (or ownership papers if he bought it). They may also need his passport. I also don't think a letter from the landlord is necessary. Sometimes the visa officer will ask for something out of the ordinary, but when you go back (and get another person) they don't need it.

You will normally also need to write a letter at the visa office, stating the reason(s) why you want an extension.

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

I originally had a one-month tourist visa, had to renew it for a month and needed a re-entry since I had to make a business trip to Thailand for a week. I went with a Chinese friend and at the time, I could barely speak any Chinese and he can't speak much English (he is the husband of a good friend of mine, who speaks perfect English, but she was busy on that day) my friend filled out all the forms including the address and that was it.

You just need to write down an address (as per you residence certificate). I don't think anything else is needed apart from your passport of course and the residence certificate from the police station.

Sikaote (8 posts) • 0

If I'm here on a Z visa and need to have it extended for a month, can I do it here? My current residence visa expires July 12, 2011 and I need to extend it another 30 days. Any ideas? Where do I go and what should I bring along besides my passport and the Z visa and current residence permit?
Thanks!

Related forum threads

Login to post