GoKunming Forums

shangri la

ethniceast (33 posts) • 0

thanks elisa, are you in kunming, lijiang or zhongdian?
are the 2 new places you suggested in the old city in shangrila?
if compass is expensive, what is the rate of the 2 new places?

Elisa (174 posts) • 0

Oh, sorry, I was talking about food :) I'm not sure how much it costs to stay at Compass or N's, and Marco Polo is just a restaurant. Of course the cost depends on what you order, but I got a tasty omelet with a hashbrown at Marco Polo for 25 I think. That said, the cheesy potatoes at Compass are tasty and reasonably priced at like 15 or so.

NONE of these places are cheap enough for eating every day, IMO. For that, there are noodle places on the edge of Old Town or up into the New town. All of the Tibetan restaurants (and the Indian/Nepalese restaurants) are pretty pricey too.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

I had an unrelated question about Shangri-la/Zhongdian. I have a friend thinking of going up there in mid to late March. How's the weather up there at that time of year? Any signs of spring?

Also, does anyone know when the red flowers (狼毒花) come out?

jpowers (6 posts) • 0

We had a great experience staying at a newer guesthouse called Kersang's Relay Station... reasonably priced and the folks were really nice... try to get a room upstairs as the views are quite remarkable day and night! I think we paid around 250Y per night. Also, it's in the "old" town and within walking distance to everything in old town. Also, highly recommend the restaurant the Tibetian House ... I think we ate there 2 or 3 times in a one week period. Compass has excellent food especially the baked granola... yummmm... A great destination!

Related forum threads

Login to post