GoKunming Forums

English Corner

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

Isn't it confidence-building and practice for speeches, rather than mingling with strangers to make small talk, usually in a public area?

JJ and Janice (324 posts) • 0

Two answers: since I am also from Texas.
(1) We often conduct "Texan Corner" to teach others how to speak (mostly those from New York and those from across the pond).

(2) Toastmasters requires a decent skill in English as it is a "self-improvement" organization devoted to assisting members in public-speaking skills, leadership and self-confidence. It is not an organization to teach English.

(3) Toastmasters always welcomes guests to "give us a look" and let one explore our organization. After checking website, if anyone desires further info, just respond to this post.

Cheers - - JJ

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

Ocean, you're partly correct there. A key element of the Toastmasters program is Communication, so learning how to give speeches is a major part of that program.

The second element of the program is leadership training.

Like J.J. says, a decent skill level in English is necessary. Many groups in China will not even consider new members who don't have a really good level of English, but for those who can already speak the language, it's a great place to practice while learning other things.

Thanks all. I train intakes of Aussie teenagers every 6 months to teach spoken English in rural schools. In the past, a visit to a typical outdoors English corner has been a fun evening activity to prepare them for what they'll find happening in their schools. Toastmasters and Nordica don't really fit the bill for that, but hopefully the Green Lake posse will reconvene at some point in the future. Again, thanks for the help and advice.

Yuanyangren (297 posts) • 0

I've met some interesting people at the English corner next to the green lake, although I've also met some annoying people who ask the same old boring questions. Everytime you go it's a bit different, but in general I only go about once every 3 months or when I'm feeling in the mood and have time. Since there are a lot of people there, once it gets interesting you may find yourself losing track of time and before you know it, there are still 20 people around you and it's 11pm.

It's more interesting for everyone if you bring along a friend or two, although what tends to happen is that a group of locals will crowd around each foreigner, meaning that there ends up being a circle of like 10 locals smiling and waiting for the foreigner to speak. Each person then asks a question and the conversation really starts. If the conversation is dull (about half the time) you excuse yourself and move to another group, or just leave. Otherwise, you can find yourself being ping-ponged between different people.

Oh, and steer clear of the train driver that repeats everything you say under his breath. That guy is a bit creepy.

Can anyone confirm that the Kunming English Corner is happening again at Green Lake? I know it stopped for a while during the recent "beautification". Thursday evenings still? Same place?

Davidyang (1 post) • 0

I am a local boy graduated from bj. i just want to keep my oral english ability. i think my english is good enough to practise with you. by the way, i like travel by my car and taking pic. my cellphone:13388850498, skype:davidyangxuewei.

Bump.

Can anyone confirm that the Kunming English Corner is happening again at Green Lake? I know it stopped for a while during the recent "beautification". Thursday evenings still? Same place?

I want to bring 30 foreign teenagers to Kunming's main EC this coming Thursday (they are in Kunming training to be teachers for a 6 month "gap" project) and would like them to experience an English Corner, but worried it might still be cancelled or postpooned?

Related forum threads

Login to post